FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy Easing From After Effects to Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amir Aizat
Copy Easing From After Effects to Premiere Pro
on Mar 13, 2019 at 3:21:22 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how to copy easing curves from After Effects to Premiere Pro?

On another thread someone posted that it is possible to copy paste whole clips from After Effects to Premiere Pro, and with it the keyframes as well. Some properties carry the easing perfectly like Position and Rotation, while Scale and Opacity does not. The thing is, I really need that Scale property to work.

Other than this method, are there other ways that allow us to import keyframes with easing from After Effects to Premiere Pro?

I've tried:
Saving After Effect project and opening the file in Premiere Pro (same result as copy and pasting directly, tried with CC 2015 - 2018)
Using the Distort > Transform effect (keyframe/easing transfers from PP to AE, but not the other way round, at least in PP/AE 2018, doesn't work at all with earlier versions)

Hope someone knows a bit more about this than I do, it's incredibly annoying to work with PP's value graph.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Copy Easing From After Effects to Premiere Pro
on Mar 13, 2019 at 5:39:05 pm

Not all of AE's properties will convert to PP. I'll bet scale is one of them. In this particular case, amazingly, there's nothing broken between the two applications; it's just a fact of life.

Now mind you, I would never even DREAM of doing what you're trying to do. Too many things can go wrong.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Amir Aizat
on Mar 13, 2019 at 5:52:11 pm

Hi Dave,

Even though it sounds weird, but for the properties with easing that did carry over, it worked perfectly fine.

What I wanted to do is pretty simple: create a custom easing curve in After Effects that video editors can use in Premiere Pro.

How I go about to achieve that is to save the keyframes with easing as presets that anyone can import.

After Effects to Premiere Pro to Preset.

Position and Rotation worked like a charm, and they loved it that now their simple animations don't scream 'vanilla' anymore, but they do use Scale a lot and that's why I'm cracking my head on how to work this out.

Return to posts index

Amir Aizat
on Mar 14, 2019 at 9:08:42 am

I'm updating this thread to share my solution:

This method is only possible with AE2019 and PP2019, but can be ported to earlier versions.

The trick is to copy paste Distort > Transform between the programs. All keyframes and easing transfers perfectly. Values became a bit wonky, so you have to manually fix them.

Then save them as presets, but as it is, PP earlier than 2018 won't recognise the 'Transform' filter and will not load.

Open the prfpset file in a text editor like VSCode, search for all text called 'AE.ADBE Geometry 2' and replace them with 'AE.ADBE Geometry'. Now earlier versions of Premiere Pro will be able to load the effects perfectly.

No more vanilla/inconsistent easing in Premiere Pro! It's a simple drag and drop and adjusting the keyframes from here on in. Tested on Premiere Pro CC 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]