FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Editing Bay - Advice Needed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Sweeney
New Editing Bay - Advice Needed
on Mar 13, 2019 at 10:58:05 am

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me decide what equipment I need to set up a new editing bay as I'm not an expert on the equipment needed.
I'll be mainly using the Creative Cloud Suite 2018, leaning heavily on After Effects CC 2018.
I currently have some quite big multi layered projects with data being imported (json) and I'm struggling with how slow everything is running. The preview speed is close to 20 seconds to load 1 frame and it's painful.

I currently work off 2 machines at the minute, this is their spec.

1) MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory - 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics - AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

2) iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
Processor - 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory - 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

These are both linked up to a LG ULTRAWIDE 34-inch display with an AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB graphics.

I've had a search around assume that I will need a more powerful multi core processor, lots more RAM (min 64GB maybe 128GB) & large multiple SSD drives.

So my choices seem to be the iMac Pro configured to a high spec (which isn't cheap), a Mac Pro high spec, a 27‑inch iMac high spec (both more reasonable that the iMac Pro) or an outside shout of a pc based custom built machine.

I've seen some of the PC/Mac debates and I could be tempted to move across if it is going to greatly reduce the pain and increase the speed I can work at.

Budget isn't a massive issue but I don't want to be spending silly money on equipment I might not need.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: New Editing Bay - Advice Needed
on Mar 13, 2019 at 3:00:28 pm

These days, you get a lot more bang for your buck with PC vs. Mac. I've been using both for my whole career, but I would never purchase a Mac right now for what I do. I just can't justify the cost.

Puget Systems have some great resources on their website with testing results on what's best for After Effects, but if you want a more easily digestible resource, you're in luck! This just came out: https://www.schoolofmotion.com/tutorials/after-effects-computer?ref_id=ae-c...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gary Sweeney
on Mar 19, 2019 at 1:37:27 pm

Hi Michael,

Yes I had come across Puget in my research and it is very tempting going down that route, seems to be far more cost efficient. I do need a mac for certain software that I use unrelated to video editing/production so will always have to have one so possibly having a pc for the video side and a mac for the other bits would be the way to go.

Thanks for the School of Motion link, very informative! 👍

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2019 at 3:05:36 pm

Here's the big questions that can help:
What will you make with this machine?
How will your work be used?
What are the delivery specifications for your work?
Which pieces of software will be using?
What kinds of source files will you use?
How may the nature of your work change in the future?

Your responses will be very edifying.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Sweeney
on Mar 19, 2019 at 1:33:08 pm

The machine will mainly be used to create graphics that overlay video in After Effects that will then be exported and combined into videos with a max length of 30 mins in Premiere Pro.

It will be used in presentations on screens up to 69 inches down as far as your standard 13/15 inch laptop screen.

The work is time sensitive and normally have no more than 1 to 2 days to complete, speed is essential.

Software used will be After Effects (heavily), Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Bridge, Media Encoder etc. Basically the Adobe CC 2018 package.

Source files are generally .mov no more than 100MB each.

The nature of my work shouldn't change too much in the future, these videos will always have to be made.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Mar 19, 2019 at 10:30:17 pm

I too would recommend heavily researching the move to a PC. You just get so much more bang for your buck, i'd only go mac if it was needed for something specifically. One big benefit for myself is ease of upgrading, but if that's not going to be a big concern and if budget isn't much an issue than I say go with what you're most used to. Any machine with those specs will do well if money's not your main issue

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]