FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corner pin expression tab in CC2018 ???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cerutti Nicolas
Corner pin expression tab in CC2018 ???
on Mar 9, 2019 at 5:13:35 am

Hi there,

I hope this wasn't posted before but couldn't find any answer yet.

In AE CC 2017 it's possible to alt+click on the individual keyframes of the corner pin effects (to link it to values of another layer like a null object or write an expression). But I bumped into the issue with CC2018 where, when I alt+click on one key of the one of the four points (for ex top left), it doesn't show the expression tab.

Weird thing is that, if I open a project (done in CC2017) that has the expressions/link already done, it shows them normally. So it's should still be in AE.

I am missing any options to show it ?

Thanks in advance !

Sakat

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Corner pin expression tab in CC2018 ???
on Mar 9, 2019 at 11:13:05 am

You Alt+click the property's vary-over-time stopwatch, not a keyframe, to enable an expression for that property.

There is a new feature in After Effects CC 2018, though, that makes this faster: you don't need to Alt+click the stopwatch to create a property link. The Parent column has become the Parent & Link column, and each property gets its own pickwhip icon. You can drag this from any of the Corner Pin properties to any similar property and save a couple steps, like in this picture:

Just drag the pickwhip icon onto the property you want to drive it and Ae will create the expression for you.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Cerutti Nicolas
on Mar 12, 2019 at 6:29:16 am

Thanks for your answer Walter. But what is weird is that I actually don't see the pickwhip icon for the corner pin. I have it for other propriety (opacity, size, etc...).

I'm away until next week but I'll double check to be sure once I'll be back.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 12, 2019 at 2:57:39 pm

Maybe you can post a screenshot once you're back so that we can see what you are seeing?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Cerutti Nicolas
on Mar 20, 2019 at 10:54:15 am

SoI checked again and this time it was working normally. I guess something went wrong and rebooting solved the problem.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 21, 2019 at 4:33:12 pm

Hey Walter, is that AE2018 on Mac perhaps? I don't see that feature in 2018 on win7. (a pickwhip for each attribute).
I've checked my columns and I can see the parent choice.
I do see it in 2019 PC however.

On another note related to Corner Pin. I've always found the AE corner pin way too soft. The CC powerPin creates a much sharper warp. They do work slightly differently from each other (CC has more features). I'm kinda shocked after all these years that the sharpness issue has never been addressed, but I suppose after spending good money on Cult, Adobe just let them carry the load while they focused on making icons even smaller.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 29, 2019 at 3:23:27 pm

[Steve Bentley] "Hey Walter, is that AE2018 on Mac perhaps? I don't see that feature in 2018 on win7. (a pickwhip for each attribute). I've checked my columns and I can see the parent choice. I do see it in 2019 PC however. "

I'm on PCs, too. I see it in v15.1.1 -- I think this feature was not present in v15.0, and was added in v15.1.

[Steve Bentley] "On another note related to Corner Pin. I've always found the AE corner pin way too soft. The CC powerPin creates a much sharper warp. They do work slightly differently from each other (CC has more features)."

I'll second CC PowerPin. I can't think of a single case where I'd choose Corner Pin over CC PowerPin. It's reasonably high-quality, it's got great interactive controls in the viewer panel, the perspective distortion is adjustable, and it can do reverse warps.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]