FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changes made to duplicated composition affecting original composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Del Bene
Changes made to duplicated composition affecting original composition
on Mar 6, 2019 at 12:35:11 am

Hi guys,

I was trying to duplicate my video's intro composition layer and use the copy as my video's outro but any time I make changes to the new outro layer it makes the same changes to the original intro (changing keyframes etc). They're completely separate layers but seem to be connected still somehow. Still relatively new to AE.

I really appreciate your help guys.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Changes made to duplicated composition affecting original composition
on Mar 6, 2019 at 12:44:49 am

When you duplicate a layer in the time line it's still the same nested comp no matter where it is in the time line. Best way is to duplicate it in the time line, then right click and go to source in the project, duplicate the source there and then replace the second one in the time line with the duplicate from the project window. You can do this by highlighting the layer in the time line and option (mac) alt (PC) dragging the one from the project window on top of the second layer in the time line. It will replace it with the new one, with all parameters of the layer that live in the current time line intact. So if you altered the transparency of layer 1 but not layer 2 replacing layer 1 this way keeps the transparency animation intact even though the source is now technically different.
Now you can dive into that new duplicate comp and make changes and it will only effect the second version in the time line.

Return to posts index

Greg Del Bene
Re: Changes made to duplicated composition affecting original composition
on Mar 6, 2019 at 12:48:06 am

Awesome, thanks so much for your help. I'll give this a try soon and let you know if I was able to figure it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]