FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange issue with text layer moving other layers in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laith Renno
Strange issue with text layer moving other layers in After Effects
on Mar 5, 2019 at 4:23:59 pm

Hi all,

I am running into a strange issue with Adobe After Effects.

I have several layers with video, each has a mask. I go to to the top of my layers, add a text layer and it starts moving other layers around as if my text is in the mask of another layer. I am not sure how to resolve the issue.

You can see the issue in this video

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Laith

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
Re: Strange issue with text layer moving other layers in After Effects
on Mar 5, 2019 at 5:19:22 pm

You made this composition yourself or was it handed to you?

All I can think of is
A/ A bug
B/ That there are expressions on the other layers... In which case I'd select all layers, hit "U" twice to see what has been changed on them.

Otherwise, that's quite odd..

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Laith Renno
on Mar 5, 2019 at 11:23:19 pm

Hi Anders,

Thank you for the quick response.

I created the composition myself from scratch. I also have created a couple of other new compositions that exhibit the same behavior when I take a video clip and apply a mask. It is almost as if I have something turned on accidentally in Ae settings.

I am not using any expressions

Later in the in the same composition, I added some shape layers and text layers above behaved normally. Perhaps it is that I have the text layer directly on top of the layer that has the mask? I will experiment more to see if I can narrow it down.

Thanks again,
Laith

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 6, 2019 at 12:37:59 am

Just in case it helps others with the same issue and they are using expressions:
Many "effects" and expressions use the index parameter. This is the number of the layer in the stack of layers. If you add another layer all other layers below have their index incremented by one. So any calculations using the index number will change for those layers below. This happens too when you reorder layers.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 6, 2019 at 12:40:19 am

Are you sure you haven't pickwhipped the justification parameter and linked it to something? That element follows the new text around like it linked to the justified left position.

Return to posts index

Laith Renno
on Apr 17, 2019 at 11:11:56 pm

UPDATE:

I found the source of my issue today.

If I start a new project, add a text layer with some text, then add a second text layer, one text layer moves the other when changing the position of the text, almost as if one text layer is somehow masking the other.

I later found that simply adding a solid as the first layer, under both text layers, the problem goes away.

It is also important to make sure the solid spans the work area wherever the text above exists.

Perhaps I am missing something or someone can explain why this happens?

Thanks,
Laith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]