FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bedlam Noise Apparatus, a plugin for generating noise (WIP, with images and videos)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chubak Bidpaa
Bedlam Noise Apparatus, a plugin for generating noise (WIP, with images and videos)
on Mar 5, 2019 at 1:49:13 am

Bedlam Noise Apparatus is an After Effects plugin which generates the types of noise that are required for procedural generation, such as Perlin, Voronoi, and Simplex. It uses OpenGL. It's a very modern plugin, SDK-wise, and uses the latest features of the Adobe After Effects Software Development Kit. You can view info and video here.

https://twitter.com/GvlSide

Thank you ~Chubak

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Bedlam Noise Apparatus, a plugin for generating noise (WIP, with images and videos)
on Mar 5, 2019 at 5:12:08 am

It's too bad for you that Adobe has stopped any further development of Open GL in After Effects. Adobe hasn't done anything with it since CS6. I would have thought that as someone developing a plugin, you would be aware of that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
Re: Bedlam Noise Apparatus, a plugin for generating noise (WIP, with images and videos)
on Mar 5, 2019 at 6:01:16 am

Well, it's not surprising since Apple has stopped supporting OpenGL, and I am expecting Vulkan support, and a good Vulkan example in AE SDK when AE 2020 comes out (I'm blind to Apple, as I don't own one), but the SDK itself still supports OpenGL, and they've just added an updated example in 2017 called GLator. That's what I meant by "latest SDK technology". It was a little bit of showmanship as well, I admit that, but I think GLator wasn't around for a long time, then they updated it, added STL, used a new context, and added it back. It makes plugin development very simple.

Thanks for your interest. By the way if any of you guys wants to have a look at how a plugin works behind the scenes, here's a plugin I was planning before realizing Adobe has a color generator, and then turned it into kind of a sandbox:

https://github.com/Chubek/eyeRees-Color-Harmony

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 5, 2019 at 3:59:37 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "t's too bad for you that Adobe has stopped any further development of Open GL in After Effects. Adobe hasn't done anything with it since CS6. I would have thought that as someone developing a plugin, you would be aware of that."

Adobe removed the (bad) OpenGL renderer, but that was about rendering comps, not how plugins create imagery. In fact, a number of very popular GPU-accelerated plugins are powered by OpenGL.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 5, 2019 at 4:10:13 pm

Now mind you, I don't get a choice in the card in my work machine: I play the cards I'm dealt. And I don't worry about my home legacy machine.

But it seems like a card with Open GL would be counter-productive to a card that today's AE (and other applications) would be able to use effectively.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 5, 2019 at 4:29:54 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "But it seems like a card with Open GL would be counter-productive to a card that today's AE (and other applications) would be able to use effectively."

All current GPUs support OpenGL. They may also support other graphics/compute APIs like CUDA, DirectX, Metal, OpenCL, and/or Vulkan.

Of course, things WILL get interesting when Apple drops support for OpenGL on macOS; it's currently deprecated on Mojave and will eventually be removed altogether from a future release.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
on Mar 5, 2019 at 4:13:51 pm

Exactly. Element 3D, for example, uses OpenGL (I suppose a library called Assimp, but I could be wrong --- they could have written one themselves) to load the models into the memory, with normals and everything, and uses an assortment of shaders to display the model into the screen using the GPU. These are all speculations, though. What's so different about Element 3D, and other VideoCopilot plugins, is that they have an OpenGL window. I always thought their windows are a part of the AE SDK, however, I've realized then that they are, in fact, OpenGL windows. Very intuitive.

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
on Mar 6, 2019 at 3:42:50 am

First video:

https://twitter.com/GvlSide/status/1103138581680480257

It's the simplest noise yet.

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
on Mar 6, 2019 at 4:09:52 am

Sorry Twitter destroyed my video. Vimeo has a much better encoding algorithm:

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 6, 2019 at 2:56:46 pm

I'm always a fan of procedural noises. Fractal Noise is probably the effect I use the most since I use it in almost every project! If your plugin can offer some different noise algorithms, I'll be excited to try it!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:03:57 pm

Thank you. AE already has fractal noise, so it would be moot to have it, however, it has simplex noise, Perlin noise, classic Perlin noise, Voronoi noise, and a generic noise algorithm I got from Github. You can specify the color, the noise seed allotment, periodically multiply this seed, and also, zoom it/out. I will send your a beta version so you can test it. What's your Twitter/email?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 6, 2019 at 8:34:04 pm

My Twitter handle is @thegreatszalam

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
on Mar 7, 2019 at 1:54:08 am

Micheal, I can't open your Twitter account. Could you message me instead?

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
on Mar 7, 2019 at 1:57:33 am

By the way, the preliminary work on the plugin is finished. I need a few people to test it. Please message me on Twitter if you wish so. I need a thorough look. Please message me if you're up to it.

Return to posts index

Chubak Bidpaa
on Mar 8, 2019 at 8:56:56 pm

I added a blending mode option to my plugin:

https://twitter.com/GvlSide/status/1104121532421267456

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]