FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to fix/improve footage with dropped frames?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adi Frank
Is there a way to fix/improve footage with dropped frames?
on Mar 3, 2019 at 4:39:33 pm

Hi all,
During a documentary-style shoot, I failed to notice the memory card was pretty full before starting to shoot what turned out to be a fairly long shot. This resulted in the shot consisting of scattered dropped frames. To make matters worse, it was one of those shots that you can't re-shoot. The general style of this project is kind of wonky from a technical aspect, meaning out-of-focus, bad lighting, shaky footage — it's all fine. But the dropped frames are a bit too much. Is there any way in After Effects to somehow smooth over the dropped frames so that it's a bit less "jumpy"? I read something online about somehow fabricating an in-between frame to insert where the frame/s dropped, but I gathered from the article that it was talking about a situation where the camera is static and there's not much going on as far as motion in the frame (like a talking head). In my case, unfortunately, it's hand-held camera. Not a whole lot going on in the shot — a family sitting around a dinner table talking — but there definitely is camera movement.
Does anyone have any experience or 2nd hand knowledge on how to fix or at least improve footage with dropped frames?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Is there a way to fix/improve footage with dropped frames?
on Mar 3, 2019 at 6:22:25 pm

https://aescripts.com/pt_framerestorer/

or use timewarp yourself

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Is there a way to fix/improve footage with dropped frames?
on Mar 3, 2019 at 6:26:03 pm

If it is just a few frames each time, you can use Twixtor to generate the in-between frames. You will have to insert the frames manually into the right spots. It is slow and largely manual procedure.
Some discussion of this approach here:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366259-Twixtor-to-help-invent-frames

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]