FORUMS: list search recent posts

1970s Film Look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stacey palmer
1970s Film Look
on Mar 3, 2019 at 3:32:46 am

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there is an easy solution of inexpensive plug I can use to get a vivid 1970s film look?

I hope to get those bright vibrant flat colors like in Suspiria.

Any help is appreciate!

-Stacey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 1970s Film Look
on Mar 3, 2019 at 3:53:51 pm

Are you talking about the look of '70's film fresh from the printer?
Are you talking about the look of '70's film stock that has started to deteriorate?

In either case, Magic Bullet Looks ought to fit the bill with a one-click solution... but it's not cheap!
To save a LOT of dough, you can replicate it using Lumetri... but it's not easy!

Pick your poison, I guess.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 1970s Film Look
on Mar 4, 2019 at 5:27:17 pm

it might be hard to tell unless your eyes are trained for it, but its about 50% set design, 10% wardrobe, 20% film stock, 10% lenses, and 10% post grade.

here's a rec. 709 pure color no luma modification that would get you closer. I fiddled around a while ago after researching this on the HSL and YUV scopes.

Essentially in HSL, you raise saturation, but lower lumanence so its practically zero, then rotate skin to almost pure red.

"Douglas Monce The look of the original Star Trek has a great deal to do with the way Gerald Finerman Perry photographed the show. The lighting style was very much influenced by Classic Hollywood films, of the 40's including film noir, with an emphasis on unusual colored lighting. Perry would Splash walls with purple or green lighting in the background. Even using colored lighting on the hair lights of the actors. He used hard key lights with fill, very rarely if ever using diffusion on the lights. He frequently used soft filters on the lenses for close-ups of both men and women."

The 5254 kodak film stock has very little luma per chroma and very creamy whites. D55 white point at least.(D55 can be emulated by lowering blue whitepoint in color mode)

To get this, luma has to be crushed before even adding chroma curve with saturation compression. the skin tone is in between skin line and red on vectorscope. putting it all together below:

64 iridas lut
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hjFy8sD2o3cIjwR6r7jjM2KQmv_rTmAv

also, quite a lot of well known films were shot on it.
https://shotonwhat.com/film-negative-stock/eastman-color-negative-100t-5254...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]