FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using C4D Renderer Causes Layer Alpha Trainwreck

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Nielson
Using C4D Renderer Causes Layer Alpha Trainwreck
on Feb 28, 2019 at 10:57:17 pm

I switched AE to the Cinema 4D renderer and got this mess where the boundaries of one layer would cut out other layers. But only in the last second or less of the comp. Am I doing something wrong? These are PSD layers, FWIW.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Using C4D Renderer Causes Layer Alpha Trainwreck
on Mar 1, 2019 at 5:04:32 am

So I assume there is a c4d layer in there somewhere (otherwise why use that render engine) and I assume the petals of the flower aren't it. They are psd layers as standard AE layers correct?
It could be that both the C4D layer and the petals layers (or at least some of them) occupy the same z space. When the z coordinate is the same for 3 layers they can often pop back and forth in front and then behind others as the rounding of the 3D matrix math decides who is in front and who is in behind.
The C4d render engine renders as AE would but then renders the C4D layers as flat layers and treats them like any other layer in AE, so there isn't really any 3D geometry from C4D in there, its just a flat plane with imagery rendered to it by the C4D render engine.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 1, 2019 at 9:18:39 pm

You have too many layers for your current settings. You need more ray depth. You'll need to move the quality slider up as mentioned on this page [link].
To be honest, I think what you're doing might be better done in C4D Lite rather than in AE. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 2, 2019 at 12:02:48 am

I guess we need to know what layers are c4d and what layers are pshop. It sounded to me like the petals were "flat" pshop layers with their 3D object checkbox on within AE. If that's the case those items should be handled by the internal AE renderer, no? Or does Ae truly hand off the whole thing to C4D? (that doesn't seem very efficient)

Return to posts index

James Nielson
on Mar 3, 2019 at 5:03:22 am

Upping the renderer settings didn't help, Michael, but thanks for the lead. You could be right about this being a job for C4D but I should be able to pull it off in 2.5D.

I actually didn't have any c4d layers in there (yet). Just psd layers. But would that matter? As I understand it, Cinema 4D renderer can handle a mix of 2D and 3D together. But I think you've pointed me in the right direction, Steve. My layers only bug out at the keyframe where everything settles down on the same plane (when using the C4D renderer). I don't expect you good folks to solve this for me any more than you already have, so I'll stick with the classic renderer for now and study up on the Cinema 4D renderer later. Thanks for your time.

James Nielson
http://www.megafauna.org

Return to posts index

James Nielson
on Mar 3, 2019 at 5:11:43 pm

Pre-compose + Collapse Transformations works with the C4D renderer.

James Nielson
http://www.megafauna.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]