FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reducing overly sharp angular edges when using the Roughen Edges Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Reducing overly sharp angular edges when using the Roughen Edges Effect
on Feb 26, 2019 at 6:00:53 pm
Last Edited By Xavier Bonet on Feb 26, 2019 at 6:33:32 pm

I'm trying to create some titles in AE with an ink stamp effect and after a lot of trial and error I finally found the way I can get what I need, which is by using the Roughen Edges Effect. I get this:

Now, the issue is the same that I always have with Roughen Edges: that the more, let's say, blobby the effect I need, the sharper and therefore more angular the edges—resulting in a sort of very crisp, "pixelated" effect, as you can see in the image above, which is just at 100% but seems as if I were blowing it up at 1000%. I've tried different combinations but in order to get this particular effect I need I need a certain combination of settings in the Roughen Edges Effect which includes having the edge sharpness over 1.0, and that "pixelates" the edges at 100%...

So I'm wondering if there's any other way of achieving something like this without having the "pixelated" edges or if there's any other effect I can add that can take care of the edges. Or, of course, if there's one setting in the Roughen Edges effect that I don't know of that can take care of this.

Thanks in advance for your input!

P.S. I've also tried compositing the text, resizing it about 3x with the Roughen Edges Effect applied, and then reducing the size of the Text Comp by 3. This solves the edge issue but I can't get that same blobby effect with the text at 3x it's size. The closest I've gotten is applying a second RE Effect and setting Border and Edge Sharpness to 1.0 and 0.10 respectively. It's the best I've managed but still the edges aren't completely smooth and, on the other hand, the fact that we're modifying the border again thins down the blob effect. So I'm sure there must be another way...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Reducing overly sharp angular edges when using the Roughen Edges Effect
on Feb 26, 2019 at 6:54:02 pm

This sounds like a simple fix. There are many parameters to adjust in Roughen Edges, and I think it simply takes a bit of tweaking to come up with an assortment that you find pleasing.

It wouldn't be especially good if we suggested some because we don't know what you would consider pleasing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]