FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any way to time displace without source also playing forward in time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex ezorsky
Any way to time displace without source also playing forward in time?
on Feb 22, 2019 at 9:31:55 pm

So I have time-lapse footage of a scene and I want strips of footage from 5 seconds into the future to ripple through. This works with time-displace and a matte layer of animated white strips, BUT I don't want the video itself to also play forward in time, I want there to always be patches of the 0th frame and patches of the 5th second frame to ripple through. So you might wonder why I don't just freeze frame the video at those two points and do a simple track matte...Because I actually want these strips to ripple through with soft "time-edges" in other I don't want there to be a hard edge between the future strip and the past strip, I want that "edge" to show a gradient of the seconds from 0-5.

I know it's a headache inducing question but I figure the answer shouldn't be too hard.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Any way to time displace without source also playing forward in time?
on Feb 22, 2019 at 10:51:17 pm

It sounds like this is a job for timelapse footage in precomps with time remapping applied.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

alex ezorsky
on Feb 22, 2019 at 11:53:06 pm

Hmmn, could you please explain further?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2019 at 12:01:11 am

Pretty simple:
  • Duplicate the layer
  • Highlight the duplicated layer, right-click & precompose
  • Open the precomp & enable time remapping
  • Find the point where you want the video to freeze & make a time remapping keyframe
  • Delete the time remapping keyframes at the beginning & end of the clip
  • Repeat this process as often as necessary

You can then do your voodoo on the precomps in the main comp.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

alex ezorsky
on Feb 23, 2019 at 12:17:24 am

Here is my situation. You can see that the stripes show a gradient from winter to spring (not a hard edge). This is still image looks great, however since I want the stripes to move across the image (because the "stripe matte" layer animates) this requires that the video work in time (not frozen). However when I play this video not only do the stripes of time move across but the entire scene progresses forward, meaning the winter sections become spring and so on. I want the winter sections to stay winter, spring sections to stay spring, the transitions between to stay smooth, and for the strips to animate. My feeling is that your suggestion was to just freeze frame this screenshot via pre-composing and frozen time remap frames.

Am I wrong?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2019 at 3:17:41 am

I don't get it. What's there to timelapse? Trees aren't exactly known to jump around. Can you elaborate?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

alex ezorsky
on Feb 23, 2019 at 5:52:45 pm

Ok so I think I’ve simplified my question:

I would like to use time displace except instead of black sampling 5seconds into the past and white sampling 5 seconds into the future, I would like the sampling time to be absolute, so black samples from 0 seconds and white samples from 10 seconds. This way I can get time animation by moving the color matte only, and not have the video being sampled also always playing forward in time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2019 at 7:10:02 pm

Oh. It sounds like you're over-complicating this. Just make 3 layers, one shifted 5 seconds forward on the timeline, and one 5 seconds backwards.

Of course, this results in a net loss of ten seconds in which you have all 3 layers. You can't avoid that without using Time Remapping on your current layers, or making the original image sequence ten seconds longer. If you do that, there's no necessity for time remapping.

BUT -- if your image above is representative of the entire comp, I see no problem using time remapping. Trees and bushes aren't known for fast motion.

Unless, of course you've neglected to mention a key factor of the image sequence. A camera motion like a pan would qualify. If that's true, go back and make the image sequence ten seconds longer and life gets better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]