FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline loads to a certain point, then loops at that point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eojin Kim
Timeline loads to a certain point, then loops at that point
on Feb 22, 2019 at 9:15:13 am

So, as always, I have another problem with After Effects (sorry).
This has also been going on for a while.
So, on the timeline, the loading bar (green) loads for a little over 10 seconds (sometimes 15 seconds), then stops.
Then, when I play the preview, as soon as the video reaches the point where the green line ends, the video loops from the start. Then it plays until that point again, then loops again.
The green line does not load any more, even when the video is stopped.
However, when I press to a point before the green line ends, then play from there, the green line starts loading again and plays normally until about 10 seconds later, where it does the exact same thing again.
Here is a photo of the timeline: https://i.imgur.com/KK5DZWv.png

I looked up about this, and now know that the green line is some sort of "in-program" loading bar, while the blue one is something like a "disk" loading bar..? (I'm sure it doesn't matter, I don't need to know just yet!)

How can I fix this? It's not really a "program-breaking" bug/nuisance, but it is very annoying.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Timeline loads to a certain point, then loops at that point
on Feb 22, 2019 at 3:49:14 pm

You ran out of memory. Get more memory.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eojin Kim
on Feb 23, 2019 at 3:38:36 am

Sigh.. And how would I do that?
I switched to a higher-end PC, and there's been very little lag so far. I only used it for less than a week, how did I run out of memory on an almost-empty high(er) end PC when I haden't on an old, low-end PC that I used for months?

Return to posts index

Eojin Kim
on Feb 23, 2019 at 2:01:53 pm

Forget it. I will look it up myself..
I guess the PC's getting overloaded because I'm also using Adobe Media Encoder at the same time and I put together a bunch of large video files. I wish I could get a new PC :P

Return to posts index

Eojin Kim
on Feb 23, 2019 at 2:05:15 pm

Ah, I forgot to thank you!
Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate you guys answering even simple questions like mine.
But why does CreativeCow not allow for editing, even when I literally JUST posted a reply? That's just inconvenient. They should take an example from Reddit and allow for editing, but show that it was edited. Their excuse of "there are arguments and people editing their replies made things complicated" seems silly, since this forum seems very orderly and I never even saw anything close to an argument..

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 26, 2019 at 4:30:55 pm

You are correct that Ae indicates frames cached in RAM with a green line and frames cached in disk with a blue line.

There are a number of features in the Preview panel that control how preview playback works. Perhaps you have "Cache Before Playback" enabled, which tells Ae to render the range defined in the preview panel into its RAM cache before playback, subject to availability of free RAM.

Cache Before Playback is valuable for keeping playback real-time, but of course it can be limiting if you don't have enough RAM to store your entire rendered comp in memory at the same time.

There are a couple of things beyond "get more RAM" that you can do to preview longer ranges, but they are all compromises in one way or another:

1) Disable "cache before playback" (may result in slower-than-realtime playback)
2) Set either your viewer or the Preview resolution lower (lower-res, softer/blockier image during preview)
2) Set "Skip" to value higher than 0 to skip frames during preview (jittery movement during preview)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]