Best Video Codec for a low-end PC?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eojin Kim
Best Video Codec for a low-end PC?
on Feb 18, 2019 at 3:04:13 am
Last Edited By Eojin Kim on Feb 18, 2019 at 3:31:37 am

Hello guys,
so I have Adobe AE on a pretty low-end PC. It lags when playing thru previews, slow response time, etc.
I created a 30-second clip on that PC, and would like to render it at high-ish quality. (I need a lot of details, so 80%+ would be preferrable).
I see that my choice of codecs are pretty limited, and there are only 9 I can choose from. (Unlike some people's 30+ choices!)
I have: DV (24p advanced), DV NTSC, DV PAL, Intel IYUV codec, Intel IYUC codec (again?), proDAD Codec, Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit, V210 10-bit YUV, and none.
Which codec should I use for a "not EXTREMELY long" render time with decent/good quality?
I don't really mind if I have to wait minutes to render a 30-second project, although if it takes, like, 20 hours to render a 10 minute project, that would obviously be a problem. X)
I read some other posts about this similar topic, but they talk about things like "Interframe Compression" and "Intraframe Compression" and I have no idea what that means, or how to figure out which one has best "compression" things.
Which codec should I use? Thank you!

EDIT: oh wow, I experimented with AVI with no video codec. It took around 10 minutes to render. The quality is great. And the total file size for that 30-second video: 5.21 GB. Unacceptable. The PC has problems even OPENING the video file. This obviously won't work. What can I do?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Best Video Codec for a low-end PC?
on Feb 19, 2019 at 7:48:28 pm

Try an MOV with the Photo-JPEG codec or maybe even the ProRes codec (if you're using the latest version of AE). An uncompressed AVI will be (as you've found out) too large to be useable.

If you want something to play back at the end, I'd recommend taking your resulting MOV file and bringing it into the Adobe Media Encoder to make an h.264 file. There's a YouTube preset that does a decent job.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]