FORUMS: list search recent posts

2.35:1 / 2.39:1 aspect ratio resolution?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
2.35:1 / 2.39:1 aspect ratio resolution?!
on Feb 16, 2019 at 7:00:18 pm

If I want to create a AE or Premiere project in 2.35:1 / 2.39:1 without adding those ugly black bars in a regular 16:9-project to fake it, what resolution should the project be? Let's say that the width of the project is 3840 (4K) or 1920 (FHD).

Also, I know that there is a difference between 2.35:1 and 2.39:1, but which one is most commonly used today?

If you look up film trailers on YouTube (that are not uploaded in 16:9) they usually have a width of 1920 and a height of 804 or 800 pixels. I know that there's only a 4 pixel difference per "column" of pixels, but which one should I strive for?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 2.35:1 / 2.39:1 aspect ratio resolution?!
on Feb 16, 2019 at 7:20:39 pm

Let's begin at the end.
By that I mean this: how will this ultimately be seen? What kind of device will play it back? What sort of device will display the video? Because I am lazy I always ask myself this first.

It will dictate a wide range of decisions you make as you think about the project. Answer it and you can then make intelligent, well thought-out choices. You'll also save yourself a lot of time and effort pursuing non-productive ideas.... and since I'm lazy, I like that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on Feb 16, 2019 at 9:23:38 pm

Dave, I'm mostly interested in what resolution is usually used. This question is not related to a specific project or anything, I'm just curious which one is the go-to.

To bring up a recent example the newly released Frozen 2 trailers on YouTube is uploaded in non-16:9 formats; on the Walt Disney Animation Studios YouTube channel the trailer is uploaded in 1920 x 804, but on the Disney UK YouTube channel the same trailer is uploaded in 1920 x 800.

• Walt Disney Animation Studios's trailer:

• Disney UK 's trailer:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2019 at 9:46:21 pm

I think you have your answer -- it varies, but it's close to the aspect ratio of the original. Since some compression schemes work only with a finite set of horizontal & vertical dimension, they too come into consideration.

I think you're looking for rules, and there aren't any. I suppose the possibility exists people may find that irksome.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]