FORUMS: list search recent posts

Okay to use After Effects for Graphic Design?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brenden Younan
Okay to use After Effects for Graphic Design?
on Feb 15, 2019 at 1:41:31 am
Last Edited By Brenden Younan on Feb 15, 2019 at 1:44:25 am

I am more familiar with After Effects than most other Adobe programs, and only have AE atm.

I am okay at motion graphics, however, enjoy more graphic design/branding, like what a Art Directer would do i.e: https://www.behance.net/gallery/37388851/Seven-Network-On-Air-Package-2016

Is it okay to use AE for Graphic Design for professional work or not?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Okay to use After Effects for Graphic Design?
on Feb 15, 2019 at 3:16:39 am

Our team does a lot of design directly in After Effects. For our clients, having design work that's motion- and video-native is important.

That said, a lot of graphic design use cases will require vector output, so if I were you, I'd suggest that Illustrator must be an important part of your workflow.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Feb 15, 2019 at 3:57:38 pm

Why wouldn't it be would be my question? It's just another tool in the kit. The end result is what matters, not so much how it came about.

I used to use AE instead of Photoshop as there are more options for transfer modes, mask feathering, and a few other reasons I'm forgetting now. I still use CS6 so some of that might not be the case now, but it was with the earlier CC series anmyway.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 15, 2019 at 5:23:35 pm

[Mark Whitney] "I used to use AE instead of Photoshop as there are more options for transfer modes, mask feathering, and a few other reasons I'm forgetting now. I still use CS6 so some of that might not be the case now, but it was with the earlier CC series anmyway."

Absolutely. We do, too. The only thing I'll use Ps for is paint/retouching. For everything else, I prefer Ae because it's all live and parametric.

[Mark Whitney] "Why wouldn't it be would be my question? It's just another tool in the kit. The end result is what matters, not so much how it came about."

The end result is exactly why Ae is not always the best tool. If you're doing logo design, for example, you will almost certainly be expected to provide vector output (.ai, .eps, .pdf), and be print-ready (CMYK specifications, spot colors), etc.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 15, 2019 at 5:37:36 pm

Yeah I design as much as possible in AE honestly. Generally i just hope back and forth between AE and PS or Illustrator when there's something that much easier to do in there. Mainly just painting stuff out or something needs better control over vectors/gradients. That's the best part of the Suite is that its easy to hop back and forth for (the most part).

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Feb 15, 2019 at 7:35:38 pm

I was having trouble making a resume that looked motion graphics...so I did it in Ae. It was a big file because i went for a high dpi.. but worth it. Cool demo reel btw...that is until we get to the 6th identical screen of pirates of the carribean...just because the title in the bottom is different, does not make it count as another piece...just a small tip...but love the titles and all

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Feb 19, 2019 at 6:31:48 am

Best practice where I come from is to do your layouts in Photoshop, InDesign, or Illustrator. Of course you can design in After Effects but it has only a fraction of the tools the other programs have for this purpose.

There's a 90% chance the people doing those boards were art directors or creative directors who don't know After Effects. You want to work with the tools your colleagues work in to cohere to professional practice.

You need to know Photoshop in and out, and Illustrator to a decent degree to be proficient at the various jobs clients might put upon you. If you're thing is art direction InDesign is a major tool.

You can do design in Microsoft Word if you want to, or edit video in Photoshop but it doesn't mean it's a good idea or will get you a job at a professional place.

My two cents.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 19, 2019 at 3:28:04 pm

Just having the 30K pixel capability entices all graphic designers on my end to use it.

Return to posts index

Brenden Younan
on Feb 20, 2019 at 12:53:34 am
Last Edited By Brenden Younan on Feb 20, 2019 at 12:56:03 am

Thanks guys for the advice. Brand design/graphic design is what I might be aiming for. I just found After Effects more flexible and less ridged than PS or Illustrator for some reason.

Its interesting most people do graphic design and want to do the more exciting projects such as motion design. I just found it wasn't for me, but ironically still love AE.

Return to posts index

Damien Ivan
on Feb 22, 2019 at 8:06:59 pm

I definitely use AE for design at times, but like Photoshop and Illustrator, it has its own set of weakness.

Like Kevin Camin said, if you're serious about doing this stuff, you'll eventually need to know Photoshop and Illustrator, but each of these programs is still a tool.

For bread and butter layout, Illustrator and Photoshop are still champs. It's very easy to be fast with them, but honestly, I'm so used to After Effects that there are a lot of scenarios where organizing things in that program is just easier for me. There's no question that the vector tools in Illustrator are way better; and Photoshop is really good for banging out manual photo tweaks. A lot of those things are doable in AE, but end up being pointlessly slow and would be way better to bake into a Photoshop file (e.g. paintbrush tweaks).

On the flip side, designs that are more "effects-y" (e.g. using Shine, Particular, expressions, light flares, fractal noise, etc.) are waaaay easier in AE.

Like I already said, AE is a great tool with its own strengths and limitations.

Damien Ivan
Animation + Video
Just a dude tryin to be awesome.
damienivan.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]