FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stroke behind two different objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Bentley
Stroke behind two different objects
on Feb 14, 2019 at 4:56:20 pm

Is there a way to do this in After Effects? I have two shapes (or more) and I want to put a stroke on the outside of both of them, but retain the ability to animate them independent of one another. In Illustrator I make the two shapes, group them, and then in the Appearance panel add a stroke and layer it underneath "Contents". Here are two images of what I am trying to do:

Before rotating:

After rotating:

Is this possible? If I need to use a script, can anyone provide me any guidance? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: Stroke behind two different objects
on Feb 14, 2019 at 5:06:52 pm

You can put the two shapes (without strokes) into a shape layer group, then apply a stroke to the group. Animate the individual rectangles' rotation.

Or put the shapes (without strokes) on different layers, precompose the two layers and then apply the "stroke" layer style to the precomp.

Return to posts index

Peter Bentley
on Feb 14, 2019 at 5:36:54 pm

Thanks Ken! I did not know about either of those, and learned a bit more from these links (for anyone who might stumble on this thread down the line):

Video about grouping shapes within a shape layer:

How to add a stroke to a pre-comp:
http://blog.motionisland.com/stroke-a-composition-in-after-effects/#.XGWmLc...

I think I'm going to go with the latter. Thanks again for the help!

Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Bentley
on Feb 14, 2019 at 9:26:18 pm

One followup question: when I put the animated composition (which is a collection of layers from Illustrator) into the parent composition and apply a stroke layer style to that pre-comp layer, the edges are jagged. Does anyone know how to avoid this? How do I get rid of the jaggies?

Return to posts index

Peter Bentley
on Feb 14, 2019 at 9:51:14 pm

I figured it out. I needed to go into the composition which has the Illustrator layers and check the little sun box on each layer in order to "continuously rasterize" them. That made the edges smooth.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 15, 2019 at 7:02:11 pm

Does the merge shapes option not work for this situation? Its under the Add:> arrow on shape layers. click on the contents line first and then try the merge shapes effector. It sounds like exactly what you're describing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]