After Effect import vector comp issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio Petit
After Effect import vector comp issue
on Feb 14, 2019 at 3:45:41 pm

Hello Friends,

I have a problem importing a .ai file.

I have a 1920x1080 .ai , but, some of the layers are outside of the artwork area ( is necessary because some of this layers are big and need to be animated at the center of the scene ), well, when i import in Ae as, retain layers, most of the layers, that are outside of the artwork area are cropped.

How can i get the 1920x1080 Ae comp size, but with the complete layers in the original .ai size to use for my animation?.

Please help!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: After Effect import vector comp issue
on Feb 14, 2019 at 4:48:33 pm

You can only bring it what is in the .ai comp size. If you are not willing to edit the artboard size in illustrator then you have the following options.

1. Grab everything in illustrator and shrink the size so it all fits in the 1920 x 1080 area. It is vector so in illustrator you can increase the size with zero loss of quality. (But if that is the case you might as well just increase the artboard size in illustrator which is what I would do)

2. You can move the elements outside of the comp area and move them into it so you have vector images stacked on each other. Then you move them back into place in AE.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2019 at 5:14:39 pm

I suspect you're trying to use the same Illustrator file for two different purposes. Don't.
Duplicate the file, and then make the artboard big enough to include all illustrator layers for use in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Damien Ivan
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:23:54 pm

The easiest solution is to scale up your artboard in Illustrator big enough to accommodate all the layers that are getting cut off in After Effects. It might make things slower in AE if you import the comp with the "Document Size" option for layers, but it'll be the least amount of effort.

Damien Ivan
Animation + Video
Just a dude tryin to be awesome.
damienivan.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Feb 19, 2019 at 6:06:03 am

There's actually a way to import Illustrator files outside of the art board but it has to be set up in a very specific way (art board a specific size and something else...). I did a teachout out that included this several years back but don't remember. Lol. Try Googling it, and I'll also try to figure it out for you.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]