FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects Animation Washed Out Colors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lochlan Doyle
After Effects Animation Washed Out Colors
on Feb 13, 2019 at 5:35:11 pm

Hi all,

So I've seen countless posts where people are asking this same question, so before anyone goes linking them here please understand that simply saying 'check your color settings' or 'it's your monitor's calibration' is not exactly helpful. Yes, this might just be the quick answer but that clearly hasn't helped the countless amount of people like me who are stuck with this really bad color loss.

So based on how many responses I see pointing to QuickTime as the cause of the issue in either playback or export, I can see there's certainly something going on there.. but even when I try playback with different platforms (VLC), and rendering with different codecs (Apple ProRes, ProResHQ) I still either come back with the same result, or when played through VLC, the colors are harsh and too dark.

I've attached an image showing a side by side comparison of the After Effects project window using the [none] working space, as well as VLC, and QuickTime both displaying a ProResHQ export. And before you say use lossless / animation, yes I've tried this, and its the same result. Also, I've been using the same hex# codes as given from the original Illustrator file FYI.

Any Info at all would be very helpful and appreciated, so thank you in advance!!

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: After Effects Animation Washed Out Colors
on Feb 14, 2019 at 4:49:56 pm

try rendering out to a png sequence..then check the colors on that...

Return to posts index

Damien Ivan
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:36:43 pm

I never realized it, but yeah, VLC and QuickTime display colors differently.

What are you using this render for? At the end of the day, if you need to know if something is really color-accurate, you probably need a proper monitor for that. Honestly, I don't really trust the color output I see on my computer monitor.

Damien Ivan
Animation + Video
Just a dude tryin to be awesome.
damienivan.com

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 15, 2019 at 7:23:55 pm

As i understand it all those other codecs you tried are still quicktime files so that probably didn't yield useful results. Try an image sequence like Rich recommended or try rendering through AME into something that isn't .mov and see if you get any better results.

I've seen this pop up before and it never really gets resolved so let us know if you make any breakthroughs. I wonder if you try other settings besides [None] in AE if you can get the colors to match what one of those players is displaying.

Maybe we can narrow it down to something if that's the case. also are you sure you want the 2.4 gamma rec 709 setting. Gamma affects the lightness pretty much, so wonder if quicktime/VLC are interpreting that differently.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]