COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kawin tisase
Question about displacement map
on Feb 12, 2019 at 7:02:19 pm

Firstly my composition is 1920*1080 and I use AECC 2015
This is my base layer

This is my displacement map

when I use displacement map and crank the value up to around -4000 .I can still see the white line , that is my base layer, around the displacement map, NOTE : turning off simple choker did not cause white line to dis appear

The question is, Why is there a white line around displacement map. Is there any in-depth expalnation to this. Not to be confused, I want white line around displacement map. I just curious. I tired reading this article https://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/displacement.php and listen to this tutorial https://library.creativecow.net/video_page.php?author_folder=rabinowitz_aha...
but no answer came
Thank you in advance for answering me xD.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Question about displacement map
on Feb 12, 2019 at 8:53:54 pm

i always get the white lines if my displacement is too high...maybe if you used a simpler layer to displace..

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:13:44 pm

Thats just what happens when you displace the layer so much. its like smeared to the edges of the displacement map. What are you trying to displace?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 13, 2019 at 3:03:54 am

[kawin tisase] "when I use displacement map and crank the value up to around -4000 I can still see the white line , that is my base layer, around the displacement map, NOTE : turning off simple choker did not cause white line to disappear.... The question is, Why is there a white line around displacement map."

Because you're cranking the displacement far beyond its useful range, that's why.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

kawin tisase
on Feb 13, 2019 at 5:56:41 am

Thank you for answering my question Mr.Dave. But maybe my question is not clear enough. So, to clarify, I want to know is there any in-depth explanation why the white line form itself in the shape of displacement map when the displace value is "Too high"?? .

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 13, 2019 at 3:53:58 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 13, 2019 at 5:23:51 pm

I don't know why. I'm not a software engineer.

Why do speed limit signs make you slow down cars at curves? Because you increase the chances of crashing by going faster. But do you KNOW the physics of tire adhesion on curves, with various radii, various road surfaces, various vehicle weights, various tread patterns and at various speeds ? No, you do not. You know that you should slow down.

If you want the answer to your question, become a software engineer. Or join the ranks of thousands of other AE users who understand that there are limits to the usefulness of the displacement map and judge its effect with their eyes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Damien Ivan
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:45:11 pm

Since the displacement map is black and white and has no alpha, you can't use choke matte on it without some effects gymnastics. Otherwise, I don't totally understand what you're saying in your question.

Damien Ivan
Animation + Video
Just a dude tryin to be awesome.
damienivan.com

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Feb 14, 2019 at 11:58:26 pm

>Why is there a white line around displacement map.
Not really familiar with this effect, but as far as I know, it displaces pixels of base layer based on brightness (I assume, you use that kinde of mode) of map layer. The most bright moves one direction, the most dark - to the other, while pixels close to medium brightness don't move a lot.

Thus, at -4000 everything but pixels really close to medium brightness has moved away. I presume, if you check the color of those white pixels on the map, they would be [128, 128, 128] color or something.

Here's a shape filled with strictly horizontal gradient moving a solid with fractal noise. When increasing Max Vertical Displacement, the dynamics are quite simple:

All white goes max up, all black goes max down, medium things fall in between.
At extreme levels the only pixels visible on the comp will be those near the center of grad:

So I suppose, those lines of yours are areas of constant color=[128, 128, 128]. They look like lines due to the nature of your map, but generally can be whatever. For instance, here is a circle of [128, 128, 128] color added to that +5000 Max Vertical Displacement setup above:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]