FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make the stroke of a mask thinner?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
How to make the stroke of a mask thinner?
on Feb 11, 2019 at 8:23:44 pm

Hello everyone!

This might sound simple but I can't find the way to do this: I have created a new mask using the Live Trace from a drawing. It worked great, then I colored by using the "fill" in the mask , but the line looks too thick. Is there a way to make these masks thinner? I have tried by changing the pixels of the "Mask Shape" bounding box, but it looks exactly the same. Also the "stroke" effect, nothing. There must be a way to make them thinner, I can't believe I can't find it anywhere in the mask options...

Thank you for your wisdom in advance!!
Esther.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: How to make the stroke of a mask thinner?
on Feb 12, 2019 at 9:01:13 pm

why live trace and not auto trace from the layer menu? If its similar to the stroke effect the thickness seems to be dependent on the camera and the size of the composition

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Feb 12, 2019 at 9:23:38 pm

Hello Richard!

I just did the auto-trace (thanks), but I still have the same question: how to make the stroke from the masks created thinner? you say that works like the stroke effects, but how to edit the thickness of those lines then?

thanks again!!
esther

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:10:07 pm

I'm not very familiar with the autotrace function so maybe Richard will be able to help you further with that.

But one thing you might want to try to pasting the path from the mask into a shape layer and using a shape instead of a mask. I say that because then you can actually just adjust the stroke of the shape. although depending on your shape and situation that might be not work well. Would you be able to post a screenshot of your problem?

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:54:54 pm

Hello Max! thanks for your suggestion. I also tried what you said, made a shape layer, then added the stroke effect, the problem is that the smallest stroke (at least the option I see in this effect) is still too thick.

These images show the shape layer in RED, the auto trace in WHITE and the original drawing (no mask) in BLUE.

- IMPORTANT: this is a still form an animated sequence, meaning I am trying to avoid animating just that part again (so making all those drawings again). Instead, I am trying to make that line thinner to integrate it better with the character, as you can see the character has no lines at all. I want that line from the armature to be less thick as possible, but AE does not seem to have a thinner mask stroke by default, so I can't change it? Thank you!! E.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Feb 13, 2019 at 11:51:34 pm

Hi Esther, have you looked at the Cartoon effect (it has line thickness controls)?

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Feb 14, 2019 at 10:34:01 pm

Hello Greg! thanks for this suggestion.

I tried to apply cartoon effect to the shape layer, also to the auto traced layer, and nothing changes, i cant believe after so many effects, there is non that makes that stroke thinner! it should be one I assume? if nobody has any other ideas..I will have to change my approach completely. But I refuse to give up, making a vectorial-line thinner should be easy in AE...will keep searching the way. Any more suggestions welcome!

thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 14, 2019 at 11:20:11 pm

Are you adding a stroke effect to the shape layer? Shape layers have a built in outline option at the top by the fill color option. You should be able to make the stroke very thin from there.

If the line work itself is separate layer try using the simple choker. The choker effect will let you constrict the alpha of a layer. You maaay be able to make the line thinner that way

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]