FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kerning Different Between Computers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Chan
Kerning Different Between Computers
on Feb 11, 2019 at 7:36:10 pm

Hello all,

I've used CC a lot over the years and have always appreciated the help. Unfortunately, I could not find a solution to this particular problem after scouring the internet and this forum.

In brief: I am working off a project template but for some reason, the kerning appears differently than intended (see attached image).

I've checked with a colleague working off the same file and his appears as it normally should (EXTRAS centered within the blue rectangle). We've compared all character, paragraph, kerning values and they all match up. We're running off the same version of AFX (16.0.1) and OS (Mojave). Our AFX preferences are all the same and I have also tried resetting AFX to its standard settings, to no avail.

The font family is the standard Futura that comes with Mac. Has anyone run across the same problem or have any suggestions for a fix? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: Kerning Different Between Computers
on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:30:15 pm

Well it sounds like you checked all the usual suspects. Are you sure it's the same/correct fonts? (some of the letters look like they're a pixel or two shorter)

I've had situations where its pretty much the same but it was something like Franklin Gothic xb OTC and i had something similar that after effects linked to. Also go and manually change the fonts. In that same troubled project, I would change the font like normal and the character window would show the correct font but the actual layer wouldn't update until i changed it and changed it back.

have you tried opening the template in a new project? or clearing your cache and all that?

Return to posts index

Jason Chan
on Feb 12, 2019 at 10:50:51 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, just tried all of them (changing to different fonts and back, clearing the cache, opening in new project) but no luck. The font is just the standard Futura Bold that comes with Mac's Font Book. I even tried the Futura from TypeKit to see if that worked. We ended up just outputting the 'correct' version to use as a footage layer for the time being. Worst case scenario, I can always manually adjust tracking and kerning until it matches. It's just a mystery that would be nice to solve.

Return to posts index

Damien Ivan
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:41:51 pm

Still sounds like the font files themselves are different. I've had this same problem numerous times; and that's always the reason. If I were you, I would copy the font file from the computer where it looks correct to you and copy it to the other computer.

Damien Ivan
Animation + Video
Just a dude tryin to be awesome.
damienivan.com

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 15, 2019 at 7:28:57 pm

I agree. I bet its something with the font names. Sometimes what AE displays in the character window isn't the exact name of the font file either on your computer. I'd recommend trying a few different types of futura if you wanna keep trying to get to the bottom of it. But if exporting the original works you may as well do that haha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]