FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace all instances of Comp A with Comp B inside the project window?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Biagi
Replace all instances of Comp A with Comp B inside the project window?
on Feb 9, 2019 at 8:35:12 pm
Last Edited By Chris Biagi on Feb 9, 2019 at 9:36:17 pm

First post, hi!

I have a project that is the result of importing several similar AE projects into one master project. There are a ton of redundant assets in these imported projects, and they were not very well structured by the original creator; as a result I have 20+ identical instances of "Comp A" in the project. These precomps are subsequently used in many other compositions. Each iteration of "Comp A" is used in a few different parent compositions.

I would like to consolidate this so there is only a single "Comp A" source used in all of the parent compositions mentioned above. I'm aware of the technique of alt / option dragging the replacement "Comp B" onto a "Comp A" layer within a sequence. However this technique requires me to do the replacement for *every* of the dozens of places "Comp A" is used across the entire project.

Question: Is there a way to replace ALL of the "Comp A" instances with "Comp B" within the project window? I basically want the same effect as "replace footage," but I'm not sure how to do this with precomps.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Replace all instances of Comp A with Comp B inside the project window?
on Feb 10, 2019 at 2:41:45 am

[Chris Biagi] "Question: Is there a way to replace ALL of the "Comp A" instances with "Comp B" within the project window? I basically want the same effect as "replace footage," but I'm not sure how to do this with precomps."

Yes! It works just like Alt-dragging to replace footage. Hold down the Alt key, then drag the Comp B project item on the Comp A project item.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris Biagi
Re: Replace all instances of Comp A with Comp B inside the project window?
on Feb 14, 2019 at 6:49:07 pm

Ha! I must have been doing something wrong - I thought I had tried that method, but it kept putting the dragged comp inside the other comp, as a new layer. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]