FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bevelled edges on After Effects extruded Vectors making shapes too big

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pawley
Bevelled edges on After Effects extruded Vectors making shapes too big
on Feb 8, 2019 at 6:07:01 pm

Ok, I have a complex puzzle animation. My problem is that the bosses want a ‘bevelled’ edge applied. So working with vectors and extrusion I create my 3D elements, but when I apply the extrusion it externally extrudes and makes the shapes bigger and therefore unusable. I can create a nice looking bevelled effect with the same extruded shape in Photoshop but I don’t know how to get that effect in Ae- and I need to keep each piece of the logo independent.

Can anybody please help?

https://i1.creativecow.net/u-upload.php#

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Bevelled edges on After Effects extruded Vectors making shapes too big
on Feb 10, 2019 at 10:05:55 pm

Are you moving these in actual 3d? How are you making the beveled edge? There is an effect in the perspective menu that will bevel within the current alpha. There's also the layer style that does the same thing (but I prefer to use the effect). Bonus is that you don't have to use the slower-to-render 3d renderers; you can just use the classic renderer!

If you need the piece look actually 3d, you can fake it by the old standby trick of stacking layers in z-space.

If you actually need the piece to be really 3d, you'd probably be better off building it in C4D Lite (which has much better beveling options and comes included for free with After Effects. If you've never used C4D before, this is a great tutorial series on C4D Lite from a few years ago: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cinema_4d_lite_reference/cinema_4d_...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Pawley
on Feb 11, 2019 at 10:36:03 am

It's 3D as much as possible. I certainly don't want some complicated build and extruding in After Effects is more than effective. It is just the way the bevel option works on the extrusion option. It doesn't make sense to me as I can't recall any other software making an object bigger when adding bevel.

I shall explore the some more and look into how C4D Lite works ☺ - hopefully below you can see the difference between applying bevel on my 3D shapes in Photoshop (on the left - grey shapes) vs Ae (Right - green shapes)- I want something closer to the Photoshop option, just a bit heavier set without the enlargement you get with Ae

Thank you

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 20, 2019 at 4:49:08 pm

Most software makes things bigger when doing an actual 3d bevel. If it went in instead of out, there's a good chance corners would smoosh into each other. Full-fledged 3d apps often have options to move inward, but default is out.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]