FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicate footage in precomp not syncing in composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Harper
Duplicate footage in precomp not syncing in composition
on Feb 7, 2019 at 2:44:52 pm

So I have a piece of footage that I motion tracked, then added a billboard with copy on it, and then I duplicated the footage to mask some people who cross in the foreground. I used Mocha to track the movement of a couple that crosses the billboard, then made a mask that followed the track data and everything looks right in the precomp. When I drop that precomp in my main comp the footage doesn't line up. The mask also is running faster than the footage. Both comps are 29.97 frame drop, but the main comp is portrait and 4k if that has anything to do with it. The weird thing is, I did the exact same thing in another precomp and it's working perfectly.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Duplicate footage in precomp not syncing in composition
on Feb 7, 2019 at 3:52:27 pm

well, from your description you seem to have already considered the basics. So I'll go with the possible "its a bug" approach.

You can try to force it to respect the frame rate going into the advanced tab of the composition settings.
Or you could pre-render it.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 7, 2019 at 4:15:04 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 7, 2019 at 4:21:37 pm

Judging by the number of complaints, AE has hit-and-miss problems with 4K footage despite reassurances it should work. I attribute it to 4K's common MP4/H.264 encoding, which due to its temporal compression, encourages AE to have intermittant, spotty issues with individual frames.
I recommend transcoding the clips to a different codec, then importing them and using them as replacements. ProRes 422 or Cineform come to mind.
Now, you could always complain to Adobe about this, file a bug report, wait for God-knows-how-long for a fix... or you could just get on with life and transcode.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ian Harper
on Feb 7, 2019 at 8:23:27 pm

Well, I'm more glad that it's a bug than just me. I fixed it by opening both comps and moving the layer a little bit, then I put -20 pixels on the mask so that it wasn't catching anything outside of the people and then just blurred the people a bit to hide it.

Thanks, I'll put in a bug report.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]