FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating Along a Path /Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
criis daw
Animating Along a Path /Mask
on Feb 7, 2019 at 11:11:52 am

Hi All .. i have a problem i would like help solving.

I have a an cartoon style bee that i want to fly around a scene and as it flies it leave a dotted line indicating where it has flown (i'll try and include pictures).

All well and good . i can make a dotted line with shape layers and copy this is into the position keyframes of the bee and i have the desired effect .

However its a right pain to edit . If i want to tweak and change the path i have to copy the keyframes each time and it strikes me that this is pretty inefficient.

When faced with a similar situation previously i have used Particular. Attach light emitter to position of object and a line of particles get drawn along the path as the object travels along it. This technique falls down in this case though as the oblong particle does not orientate along the path and the dashes stay horizontal along the path.
I have tried with trapcode and superluminal but cant get the particle to orientate.

So :
1. Is there a way to animate along a shape layers path without copying into keyframes (best solution)
2. Can i orientate particles along a motion path in trapcode particular or superluminal ? (good workaround)

3. How do i include a picture in my question ??

Return to posts index

criis daw
Re: Animating Along a Path /Mask
on Feb 7, 2019 at 1:36:16 pm

solved it !

well after effects themselves did.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:49:39 pm

I was about to suggest that!

Alternatively, you could do it with Particular. You just need to give the particles a tiny bit of initial movement from the emitter's velocity and then slow them to a stop immediately with air resistance. If they have the option to get their orientation from movement, it should do it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

criis daw
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:52:32 pm

nice tip for particular .. i will try it just to see . i do like a particle system.

thanks for the reply

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]