FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trim Paths not working as expected...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Heaton
Trim Paths not working as expected...
on Feb 6, 2019 at 4:46:01 pm

Hi there,

For some reason, the Trim Paths are not working as expected. I'm using them with an Illustrator layer that was converted into a shape using "Create Shapes from Vector Layer." You can see the problem below. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

13091_screenrecording20190206at16.20.55.mov.zip

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Trim Paths not working as expected...
on Feb 6, 2019 at 5:48:31 pm

What do you want it to do instead? That is how a trim paths with fill works. The path origin is in a bit of an odd location, other than that the behavior is as expected. You are filling a shape that remains when you remove a certain length of the path.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Joey Heaton
on Feb 6, 2019 at 6:10:58 pm

I want the Trim Paths to do what one would expect it to do, i.e. trim along the line, without adding strange extra shapes that do not exist in the Illustrator file.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Feb 6, 2019 at 11:17:49 pm

Hi, turn the Fill of your shape off.

Return to posts index

Joey Heaton
on Feb 7, 2019 at 11:35:11 am

Hi,

Doing that just causes it to disappear. It looks like I'm going to have to mask it manually?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:51:26 pm

Not necessarily. Turn the fill off, but turn the stroke on and make sure you have a white stroke. I'm guessing that the shape isn't a simple stroke in Illustrator but two circles that are kinda filled, but it's just a guess.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Feb 8, 2019 at 5:12:43 pm

Its not doing what you're expecting because the shape isn't a stroke. Its probably a stroke in illustrator but its being treated as a solid shape. You can see that it's trimming the path around the shape you thought was a stroke. See how it says Group 1 instead of shape, open that up and see if it's multiple shapes that are merged or something.

It's not making random shapes, the arcs that pop up is from the trim path drawing the objects in the group 1 and then your telling it to fill that group with white. If its a simple shape you're better off just using the pen tool in after effects and setting the stroke width to however wide you want it. Remove the fill and use stroke color instead and then trim path should do what you're imaging.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]