FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dynamic Editing (?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassiano Zanon
Dynamic Editing (?)
on Feb 4, 2019 at 7:51:51 pm

Hey guys, first time posting here.
Well, i tried looking this up here and on google but either i couldn't find anything or didn't know how to search.
Anyway, i work at an agency and this year we're trying to make our video editing more like a "music video" editing, quoting my boss.
I get the idea and i found some really cool references, but i just can't get around what is going on in the videos. Let me show you some exemples (sorry, most of it is in portuguese):

https://vimeo.com/258159586
https://vimeo.com/276176885
https://vimeo.com/239757025

These are a few references we've collected.
Well, i can create individually almost all of these elements, effects and transition, but these videos have SO MANY THINGS happening at the same time, all so fast, and amazingly synchronized. There are the elements like blocks and glitches that apear seemingly at random, and the masks made with letterings that flickers... anyway.
I don't know what this kind of editing and motion graphics is called, but it's everywhere nowadays and i tried looking up every possible related term and nothing came up, just the generic stuff on youtube.
I'd really like to find some tutorials or "speed paint" kind of videos that shows how these things are made so i can get my head around on how to organize myself and learn how to combine different techniques to achieve this kind of edditing.

I'd really appreciate some guidance in this endeavor.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Dynamic Editing (?)
on Feb 6, 2019 at 6:27:50 pm

Are you talking about the editing style or the shapes that appear throughout the video?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Cassiano Zanon
on Feb 6, 2019 at 6:33:28 pm

The editing style. I really don't know how to look for videos similar to these. I'd also like to learn more about the workflow, the perception of knowing where to put each element.
I know we learn this things given time, so knowing how to search for this kind of videos would be of great help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 6, 2019 at 6:40:44 pm

If we are just talking about editing my first recommendation would be to edit the video in Premiere and NOT After Effects. For straight up editing it will go much faster in Premiere. Second, watch the samples you gave like the Nike one. Notice how the editor used the beats in the music to dictate when to cut. Picking the right song that moves at the pace you want will dictate how long each clip stays on screen. If you want to add elements like the basketball video then round trip it over to After Effects and add the magic. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Cassiano Zanon
on Feb 6, 2019 at 7:24:55 pm

Thanks! Now i'm left with only one question, is there a name for this kind of editing? Full of elements, animation, etc? Even the name i gave this thread is terrible, and i can't find any onther definition for this.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 6, 2019 at 8:17:46 pm

I would just call the editing style fast. The shapes that appear on the videos are animated shapes. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 7, 2019 at 9:55:42 pm

To make sure we're all talking the same language. "Editing" is cutting video clips and putting them next to each other in a sequence. Making it very stylized with color is called "color grading". Adding animations is called either "motion graphics" or "animation".
You would edit in Premiere Pro, probably do Color Grading there too (unless you want to get really complex), and then you would bring your edit into AE to add the animations to it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Damien Ivan
on Feb 14, 2019 at 11:24:19 pm

It's mainly just lots of manual work.

Damien Ivan
Animation + Video
Just a dude tryin to be awesome.
damienivan.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved