FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filter to convert RGB pure colors to custom ABC colors?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cristobal Vila
Filter to convert RGB pure colors to custom ABC colors?
on Feb 2, 2019 at 5:46:49 pm

Hey, guys.

Do you know if there is an AfterEffects filter that allows you to directly convert RGB colors from an image to other ABC colors defined by the user?

As a picture is worth a thousand words:

I would like to start from an image like the one you see above on the left (where there is a gradient between pure RGB colors) to another image where each of these channels becomes a specific color defined by the user (and can be easily and intuitively modified).

What I show you above is done in AE, in fact, but in several steps: working with 3 layers, using a combination of filters "Calculation" + "Tint", to initially convert each of the channels R, G, and B to pure white, and then tint those 3 whites with my colors A, B and C, to end up merging the 3 layers using ADD mode…

I am very surprised that such a simple thing as this cannot be done in a single stroke, with a filter/effect, in the way of the filter "Tint" or "Tritone"... but no matter how much I look I can't find it...

Any idea?

Big thanks for your feedback! :-)

Cristobal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Filter to convert RGB pure colors to custom ABC colors?
on Feb 2, 2019 at 9:32:03 pm

What on Earth are ABC colors? In the digital realm, it gets no more straightforward than RGB!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cristobal Vila
on Feb 2, 2019 at 9:59:48 pm

“A”, “B” and “C” just means any 3 different colors chosen by the user.

In my example: A = Orange, B = Soft Yellow, C = Brown (but could be Purple, Tangerine and Lime, or whatever…)

I want to replace the original Red, Green and Blue colors on an image by any custom 3 colors in the most direct way (using a single AE filter, if any is available: that is my question).

In a similar fashion that you can use AE “Tritone” filter to replace the Highlights, Midtones & Shadows by any 3 custom colors.

Cristobal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
on Feb 2, 2019 at 11:24:38 pm

And this was exactly what you've done..

How did I not read your message? sorry for the trouble..

Return to posts index

Cristobal Vila
on Feb 2, 2019 at 11:30:17 pm

Hi Emre!

Thanks for your reply!

Probably I have not explained correctly. I know how to achieve this. There are several options. In my first post I explain an alternate procedure similar to what you describe, but using “Calculations” instead of “Set Matte” (this is in fact what I have done to create my attached pic).

BUT:

What I would like to know is if there is (or not) a simple filter who allows this in a more automatic and direct fashion, in a single step (something like the “Tritone” effect, which allows converting Highlights, Midtones & Shadows to 3 user defined colors).

Probably the short answer is “Nope”, there is NOT a simple filter to allow this automatically… Just want to be sure I have not ignoring

Thanks in any case for your suggestion :-)

Cristobal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Return to posts index

Cristobal Vila
on Feb 2, 2019 at 11:31:40 pm

Ha, ha… 😃

No problem, Emre! Very grateful for your help :-)

Cristobal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Feb 2, 2019 at 11:31:35 pm

Colorama effect can do smth like that:

Return to posts index

Cristobal Vila
on Feb 2, 2019 at 11:39:30 pm

Ohh, YES!

Colorama did the trick!

I used lot of times Colorama, but converting from Intensity or Lightness. I hadn't realized that HUE can be used as a starting point.

Thank you so much, Oleg! :-)

Cristobal Vila
etereaestudios.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]