FORUMS: list search recent posts

Special Auto Lip Sync

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ángel Molina López
Special Auto Lip Sync
on Feb 2, 2019 at 3:18:42 pm

Hi everybody:

I want to make a Dorkly animation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVTLsQ8iNCM), that is, 8-bit puppets opening and closing their mouths. The difference I want to add is when the mouth is open the puppet get stretched (scaled) in the Y axis and when is closed the puppet returns to its original size. I have managed to get a semi-automatic sync method but it still takes up too much time. Can you think of any automatic or quasi-automatic method? I've seen things get done with Adobe Character but I don't know if it would work with the scale issue.

Regards and I hope I made myself clear.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Special Auto Lip Sync
on Feb 2, 2019 at 4:14:11 pm

Sorry, but not really. You don't mention WHEN you want it to happen.

When chacters yell? When they use long, drawn-out syllables? When you only want it to happen? Three different situations, and three different techniques. And those are just situations off the top of my head.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ángel Molina López
on Feb 2, 2019 at 5:24:23 pm

I want that effect while they are just talking. It's not something specific. Some syllables will match with an open mouth and streched body and others with a closed mouth and normal body.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2019 at 5:35:44 pm

So you want to pick when it happens. Sorry, but there's no automatic way to do that.
Can't speed up the process, I'm afraid!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Feb 3, 2019 at 9:39:27 am

You can use audio to keyframes result with a simple piece of expression code that sets the threshold of when to stretch the pixels.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Ángel Molina López
on Feb 6, 2019 at 4:09:12 am

Thank you for your replies. Kalleheikki, the technique you have spoken of is the one I'm using now, but I was looking for something more automated. I've been searching and I think I've found a way. Lars is a genius (https://vimeo.com/220359572) and has made an expression that allows the transfer of keyframes from CA (Character Animator) to AF and it works perfectly well. It saves you a lot of time.

Now, the scale problem. I've assigned a null that responds to the values adopted by the mouth so I tasked it when the mouth is open, the puppet stretches. To do this, I've used the following expression:

x=thisComp.layer("SIDE MOUTH GREEN").effect("LJ - visemes - MSD")("viseme nr.")
if(x==1)[148,199];
else if (x==3) [148,199];
else if (x==7) [148,199];
else if (x==10) [148,199];
else if (x==11) [148,199];
else [148,189];

The problem is as follows. When there are two consecutive sounds that are equivalent to an open mouth (FOR - GO - tten), the puppet doesn't move and that's a pretty dull stuff. What should be said to AF is: if after an open mouth value goes another open mouth value, on the changed value disable the stretching for X time. What'd be the expression that would be needed to achieve that? I know I could do it manually but I want to broaden my skills.

Thank you in advance.

PS: Is there any way to shorten the expression I have written?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]