FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a hand understanding linear workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Pedraza
Need a hand understanding linear workflow
on Feb 1, 2019 at 7:15:35 pm

So, lately i've been coming across more projects that require the use of linear footage, and it's always this alchemic black box I stumble around, even after reading documentation.

I'm looking for some enlightment, in the layman-est way possible.

Here are the details of the current project: I'm receiving some adobe link AEPs, to do some compositing work on, from the resident editor. They are XMFs produced by a pair of Sony FS5 and FS7. The footage i receive, if I understand correctly, is S-log 2.

Here begin my doubts, then:

I believe, In order to do my compositing correctly, I need to setup the colorspace in such a way that I don't perceive it as gray and washed out. Then, I need to output a .mov back for the editor, which is in itself, linear again. Afterwards, the final strip goes to the colorist, and that would be the endpoint.

-What should be the colorspace I need to use in AE? Currently it's like this:

-With the colorspace applied I suspect is the correct one, it looks like this:

Which looks better, but still a bit flat. Is that enough? Am I missing a LUT or something?

And finally, and probably most importantly:

-What should be the output settings, so that the editor gets a flat, colorist friendly result after i've done my comp work? Is this it?

I've seen some documentation videos on linear workflow, but I keep getting lost in this, got too used to working on regular sRGB for TV too long. Any help will be appreciated. Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]