FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips on getting better mask/matte results?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Herrick
Tips on getting better mask/matte results?
on Jan 29, 2019 at 3:59:37 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Herrick on Jan 29, 2019 at 8:03:54 pm

I am trying to color grade skintone in DaVincia Resolve, but finding the options for masking certain areas—power windows in combination with HSL qualifications—don't always give me as accurate results as I'd like.
So I figured I'd use the Rotobrush in AE to create an alpha matte and import that into Resolve.
But I'm finding it's automatic detection isn't always accurate, and often picks up areas—particularly low-contrast with similar hue—that I don't want.
I'd like to be able to get more accurate results, and be able to have more manual control over my masks.
If anyone knows of any good tutorials or tips please send them my way!
Thanks!

UPDATE: I've gotten a bit better using the Rotobrush and gotten satisfactory results.. but DAMN it took a long time--I spent about 4 hours on a 10 second clip (granted I had to redo some of it) but still...

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
Re: Tips on getting better mask/matte results?
on Jan 29, 2019 at 11:11:03 pm

I'm biased (as I work for Boris FX), but I suggest using Mocha for rotoscoping. It's designed specifically for this kind of work.

If you are using After Effects, Mocha AE is built into the software under "Track in Mocha" in the animation menu. Here's an example on how to use the software for roto, but there are many tutorials out there:

Alternatively, you could look at one of the Continuum or Sapphire plugins for Resolve. Mocha is built into them and has full matte output rendering.
Here's an example video of how it works:
https://borisfx.com/videos/bcc-10-mocha-pixelchooser-in-davinci-resolve/

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
Re: Tips on getting better mask/matte results?
on Jan 31, 2019 at 9:17:24 pm

4 hours for rotoing 10 sec is fast. Lol. Hope that helps put things in perspective.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]