FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pressing issue 😬 Problems with simple 3D cube. Planes look like they are not aligned when zoomed out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbie Dickson
Pressing issue 😬 Problems with simple 3D cube. Planes look like they are not aligned when zoomed out
on Jan 27, 2019 at 2:29:28 pm

Hi folks,

I've just taken on an urgent job that involves animating some isometric cubes in after effects, and have hit a major stumbling block that I can't seem to work out.

Basically I have created a 3D cube using 6 square solids. This looks fine when I first make it, but when I change my camera position and zoom levels the edges of the cube start to look like they are not lined up properly. I used several different methods to make the cube including scripts and snapping, so I am confident the different planes are all lined up correctly.

It seems to be more of an issue relating to the camera, as the misalignment gets worse the further camera is from the cube. To make it look isometric I have to be zoomed quite far out from the cube, and this seems to be part of the problem.

Here is the cube when it's close to the camera (looking ok)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh8ec9ws817a1oc/Screenshot%202019-01-27%2014.21.3...

Now if I zoom out it suddenly looks like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1xwzzmgobmu0x3/Screenshot%202019-01-27%2014.21.5...

I need to get all this set up correctly before I can even start the project, so if anyone can help I will be eternally grateful. Deadline for completion is tomorrow

Thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Pressing issue 😬 Problems with simple 3D cube. Planes look like they are not aligned when zoomed out
on Jan 28, 2019 at 12:12:53 pm

You should swap to a proper engine for 3d, or use Element 3d within After Effects. I've stumble upon those "bugs" and there is no way around them.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Pressing issue 😬 Problems with simple 3D cube. Planes look like they are not aligned when zoomed out
on Jan 28, 2019 at 2:46:11 pm

If you want to upload your current cube project, I'll take a quick look at it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
on Jan 29, 2019 at 7:25:55 am
Last Edited By Mark Doctor on Jan 29, 2019 at 7:31:29 am

Scripts? Where we're going, we don't need scripts.

Make a square solid 100px and a 50px z-space offset on the anchorpoint.

Duplicate the solid and rotate the second solid at the y-axis 180°.

Select both solids and duplicate them. rotate both at the same time 90° along the x-axis.

Keep them selected and duplicate both once more, now rotate them 90° along the z-axis.

Voila a perfect cube. You can select every face and pre-comp them for easy replacement. Or use a color effect on every face.

Select all 6 faces and hit s to scale all at once. Or parent them to a 3d-null at the center of the cube to add movement and scale.

P.s. Don't add a camera if it needs to be isometric.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jan 29, 2019 at 5:56:49 pm

Your description is exactly what he did...

[Mark Doctor] "P.s. Don't add a camera if it needs to be isometric."

Not adding a camera will default to the standard 35mm camera view. FAR FROM looking isometric.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
on Jan 29, 2019 at 10:46:20 pm

That's true, I was always under the impression that AE could render its frontview-preview. Wich it can't.

The errors on the cube can apear. When non square pixels are used or classic-3d render settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]