FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I make a clip play like a series of freeze frames?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Cucher
How do I make a clip play like a series of freeze frames?
on Jan 26, 2019 at 8:25:44 pm

Hi
I would appreciate if someone can help me. I would like to make a clip play like it looks like a series of freeze frame without having to do it frame by frame in photoshop. Is there an Expression that I can use to create this effect?
THANK YOU

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: How do I make a clip play like a series of freeze frames?
on Jan 27, 2019 at 3:18:15 am

The simplest is probably the Enable Time Remapping feature. Enable this for the clip in AE and then run down the timeline and click the keyframe icon (the little stopwatch) for the Enable Time Remapping effect on that layer for every frame you want to "freeze". Then jump to each of those keyframes in turn, step back one frame and copy and paste the keyframe of the "frozen" frame prior to the keyframe you jumped to. So you will end up with two keyframes near every point you want to freeze (except the first one). Now, if you have your keyframe easing settings set to something odd you may have to force those keyframes to "hold" frames but you can do that all at once with a modifier key and a mouse click.
The idea here is that the keyframe, on say frame 20, will hold until there is another keyframe with the same information in it, say twenty frames later, before switching to a new hold keyframe on the very next frame. And you can manually change the information in those keyframes by double clicking on a keyframe and entering a new number. That number is the frame number of the clip you want displayed at that point in time.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jan 27, 2019 at 7:53:17 am

2008 is your friend...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/397597

https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=2&postid=937020...

Return to posts index

Sam Cucher
on Jan 27, 2019 at 7:55:56 pm

Thanks Steve, I will try that. Seems very doable. it is much appreciated.-sam

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Jan 27, 2019 at 12:44:51 pm

The HBO miniseries Band of Brothers (about 2001) used an effect like you mention in it's title sequence. It was frequently discussed here on the COW and other places.

JIM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]