FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating templates for Premiere Pro in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pawley
Creating templates for Premiere Pro in After Effects
on Jan 25, 2019 at 2:25:24 pm

Hi,

I am another Newbie here who is used to FCPX & Motion 5 but I'm now transitioning to Premiere Pro and After Effects.

OK, so... I have a logo I have designed for a company, which will be used in as a title in videos. However, I need to animate this logo. The logo has elements that will be made up of photos and videos, but with each project these elements need to change, so I need to make template that allows me to change / link the videos and photos needed without rebuilding the animated title for every video produced.

If I was using FCPX and Motion, I'd build a template involving 'Drop Zones', add any movement and additional effects needed and potentially build rigs to allow custom control over some elements. I would then export this into FCPX so every time I wanted to use this plugin I just have to link the media I wanted to the appropriate drop zones, use the sliders generated by the rigs to fine tune any elements and everything is sweet candy.

I have looked at After Effects and hunted YouTube for tutorials but I am not too sure what I should be looking as I don't believe Adobe uses 'Drop Zones'. Can anybody recommend any good tutorials for this so I can get my head around this and build my animated, customisable title sequence?

Thank you,

Steve

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Creating templates for Premiere Pro in After Effects
on Jan 25, 2019 at 5:23:09 pm

There is no Ae/Pr workflow that matches FCPX/Motion drop zones which would let you build the template in After Effects and push assets into it from Premiere Pro.

Instead, you could build your template in Ae, using precomps [link] (which don't really exist in Motion) to hold the assets you'd like to swap out.

For each new version of the logo animation, you'd open Ae, replace the assets inside the precomps, and render (or dynamic link, or dynamic link + render and replace) to Pr.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Pawley
Re: Creating templates for Premiere Pro in After Effects
on Jan 26, 2019 at 11:41:37 am

Thank you. I will follow this and see how effectively I can implement something that works. I think its going to take me some time to adjust to Ae/Pr - I can see already that they have a very different relationship to FCPX & Motion.

Something else I want to replicate in AE that I did in Motion 5 - I created a 3D virtual room where the walls were giant video screens. I then could drop what I liked into the 3D space and link any visual imagery to the walls.

Had good fun with this approach several times for very different purposes - the first being a music video where I dropped the band into the virtual room and had b-roll videos playing on the screens as the band played.

Thank you again. Any further direction would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]