FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding sfx to typewriter animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Filiak
Adding sfx to typewriter animation
on Jan 24, 2019 at 8:18:10 pm

I have a very long animation of a document being typed out on a typewriter. The cadence of the typing is looking natural using a simple expression on the source text to vary the pace of the reveal on each letter. Now I am wondering if I can add a sound effect of a keystroke to each letter without doing it manually as there are thousands of characters being typed.

Any suggestions?
Can Sound Keys work in this way?
Maybe an expression on a levels range to trigger an audio file when letter appears?

Bonus if I can vary the sfx between a few audio files that are the same length but slightly different pitch to seem natural.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Adding sfx to typewriter animation
on Jan 24, 2019 at 9:17:04 pm

Ooh, that's an interesting challenge. Can you post a stripped down project so we can see the expression?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Douglas Filiak
on Jan 24, 2019 at 9:28:22 pm

Here is a link to an ae project with one stripped page and a couple sfx:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t6q3uwvrgsu1ex5/AABsq_AYIRJHBPiJBWsg13pSa?dl=0

There are about 60 pre comps like this.
I could redo the typing if there is a more compatible way of doing it, but bottom line is that there are many many pages.

Thanks for taking a look!

Return to posts index

Douglas Filiak
on Jan 24, 2019 at 10:03:46 pm

There is an alternate way to configure the expression at the end of this thread if that would make linking up the audio easier: https://www.reddit.com/r/AfterEffects/comments/5c80uk/help_with_typewriter_...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 24, 2019 at 9:18:30 pm

You'd be surprised how simple, standard typewriting sound effects would work out well, no fancy AE work necessary.

Tell you what: import your animation and your sound effects into Premiere Pro, where it's a WHOLE lot easier to do this kind of stuff. What's more, you can play your audio & video in real time without previewing.

It'll only take a half-hour or so for you to realize that you can do it there.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Douglas Filiak
on Jan 24, 2019 at 9:38:10 pm

Thanks, I agree that adding audio in Premiere is much more user friendly, but I'm looking for an automated way of doing it as the document is very long with thousands of letters being typed at somewhat random rate (between 1- 6 frames per letter) so there is no regular pattern in the type writing on. Manually adding a sound effect of a key strike for each character will take ages and it's not certain if it will be used with audio in the final version.

Unless you are saying that Premiere has an automated way of adding a sfx each time a character is typed.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 24, 2019 at 11:09:21 pm

[Douglas Filiak] "Unless you are saying that Premiere has an automated way of adding a sfx each time a character is typed."

No, I'm saying that you can get away with lot more repetitious audio inaccuracies like typing than you may think, thus making the task a lot easier than you think and more of a candidate for PP than AE.

I've gone the "every typed character needs a synced sound effect" route before. It was pretty much a waste of my time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Douglas Filiak
on Jan 24, 2019 at 11:10:48 pm

Gotcha! Cool, I'll test it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]