FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions on camera settings for big green screen shoot.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Jones
Questions on camera settings for big green screen shoot.
on Jan 22, 2019 at 1:43:56 am

Hello all, I am not sure which other forum to use for this question but this is the only one that I have had personal experience with help so Id figure you would help me. ☺

I have a big green screen shoot in a few days that involves over 15 of my classmates to be individually shot in the green screen studio. This is a very tricky thing that I am doing since for years Ive had great luck with filming on the green screen and horrible luck happen as well depending on so many factors that could mess it up. I am filming each person on a Panasonic 4K AG-UX (Which is a very tricky camera due to the extensive amount of settings). Ive taken a look in many websites for tricks to achieving a perfect green screen quality. Many websites have explained that the lowest ISO possible to not have grain, and a high shutter speed to not have motion blur will be substantially good. I have a question about the frame rate.. I have a choice between 59.94P, 29.97p, 24.00p, and 23.98p..The final video itself would be 30p, but if i wanted to have a nice slow motion of them posing would I be better off using the 59p? I know premiere pro's optical flow would make that very easier for me but I am trying to make this shoot as perfect as can be. I was confused about that as some websites said things about interlacing issues and things like that filming a 59p on green screen, would you mind giving me your thoughts about that? Thank you so much for your time. I was planning to do a test shoot in the studio the day before the shoot.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Questions on camera settings for big green screen shoot.
on Jan 22, 2019 at 4:31:06 am

You know hot to light for chroma key?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Jan 22, 2019 at 4:34:20 am

I have a general idea of how i need to light it, ive read that the way you light your green screen Will make or break your shot in editing though.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2019 at 3:28:15 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 22, 2019 at 3:33:11 pm

Here are some take-'em-to-the-bank tips for green screen lighting & setup:
  • No green on the subjects! This ought to be a no-brainer. Sadly, it isn't.
  • Separate lighting for the subject and background -- don't cheat on the lights. If you need more, get more.
  • Background needs FLAT lighting -- no dark or bright spots. Uniform.
  • Background should be darker than the bright spots on the subject. In general, subject should be brighter than background.
  • Place subject at least 6 feet from background to reduce light spill, preferably more distance. If this makes the background too small, get a bigger background.
  • Backlights on the subject are good. One trick that really helps is a backlight with a little magenta gel.
  • RUN TESTS! Know that your setup will work BEFORE you shoot for real!
Hey, if this is a big-deal green screen shoot, you want to give yourself the best chance to pull a good key. You want to fudge? You're rolling the dice.

Use as much of this advice as you want. It's your head, not mine!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]