FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text animator bug

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oleg Pirogov
Text animator bug
on Jan 21, 2019 at 12:48:43 pm

This is as straight-forward as it can be:

One comp, one text layer, one position animator.
The text does't move with its bounding rectangle:

BUT if I change the resolution to Quarter it starts to behave as it should:

I haven't found any cure for that. Sometimes clearing cash helps. Sometimes don't. The bug itself is not stable and appears somewhat randomly.

I've replicated this on 15.1.1 and 14.2 versions. Saw bug reports on this issue for 15.1.2

I failed to find any threads on this bug here or on Adobe forum. Could anyone direct me if I've missed one?

And as for the bug: what triggers it, how can it be cured and was it fixed in more recent versions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Text animator bug
on Jan 21, 2019 at 3:51:49 pm

If you are just moving an entire line of text, you don't need to use an animator. You can animate the text layer's position property.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jan 22, 2019 at 3:57:48 pm

i think its your camera angle...create a new camera and choose it as your view

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Jan 22, 2019 at 8:05:23 pm

Haven't had this myself, but maybe an adaptive resolution issue? Just saying that because when you changed preview res to quarter res you say it worked. So possibly could be related to something messing up the preview window.

Have you checked if it's acting correctly once you render a test?

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Jan 22, 2019 at 10:05:23 pm

@ Dave LaRonde
Yes, that would be the best workaround.

@ Richard Garabedain
But it's not a 3D layer.

@ Max Haller
Yes, it also renders with that error, that's the most frustrating part.
Changing Fast Preview options hasn't got me anything.

That thing with Full->Quarter does't always work. Sometimes the text moves to the right place at Quarter, sometimes it doesn't. The same goes to cash clearing: sometimes it helps, sometimes doesn't. By now I have half a dozen almost identical aep files in which this bug behaves differently.
I can't figure out a pattern, it seems completely random.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jan 23, 2019 at 7:51:42 am

Does it still do this if you change the font?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Jan 23, 2019 at 9:10:46 am

Changing font works just like changing Resolution, changing text and clearing cache: sometimes it puts the text to the proper place, sometimes it doesn't. So, i guess, bug works with any font.

It fills like the bug is somehow "cached" and when that "cached" info is refreshed in any way, the bug disappears.

One more observation. Before writing this post, I've opened all my bugged projects and the bug was gone from all of them. Then I've cleaned my cache (which was full of other projects' data) and reopened the bugged files: the bug was there.

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Jan 23, 2019 at 11:05:19 am

Ok, here's the deal:

The persistent bug somehow involves using sourceRectAtTime within Text Animator:

Even a dummy (sourceRectAtTime is simply assigned and not used afterward) usage of sourceRectAtTime within Text Animator leads to a bug. The result is actual text not shifting to the supposed position, while its bounding rectangle is.

The bug is persistent: cache update (like cache cleaning or changing resolution) doesn't fix it.

On the other hand, cache update help to clear cache artifacts left from this bug, like the one presented in the op post.

Here's an example, if I delete the dummy line with sourceRectAtTime, the bug will still be observed for [-90, 0] value, but not for [-89, 0] or [-91,0]. This is a cache artifact: cache stores an err frame for [-90, 0] but not for [-89, 0] or [-91,0]. It can be eliminated by cache cleaning.

Long story short:
- apparently, there is a bug when using sourceRectAtTime withing some of text animators
- if sourceRectAtTime was deleted from animator expression but some bug-like effects stay, they can be eliminated with cache clearing

I've encountered this bug while working with sourceRectAtTime and trying to locate the source of the bug, I've deleted most of my expression, which left me with cached err frame which I've reported in op post. That has led to a lot of confusion, sorry everyone.

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Feb 5, 2019 at 7:49:20 am

Come to think of it, it's a typical behavior for cross reference in expressions. Namely, the source rectangle not matching the source and strange bereavement fixed by cache cleaning.
All sorts of weird stuff can rise when you cross reference:

I just didn't realize that simply mentioning sourceRectAtTime in Text Animator for position counts for cross reference. It totally makes sense though: Text Animators' position does affect source rectangle (unlike transform.position) thus making reference to sourceRectAtTime a loop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]