FORUMS: list search recent posts

shot live action, need to create timeplapse from pieces of that video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
shot live action, need to create timeplapse from pieces of that video
on Jan 14, 2019 at 3:47:55 pm

I have a 13 minute video shot that we removed items from a shot and I need to create a timelapse.

My plan was to do this manually, but I'm wondering if I could set a marker at each frame I want and then build a sequence from markers as still frames?

Any clever ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: shot live action, need to create timeplapse from pieces of that video
on Jan 14, 2019 at 3:58:29 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 14, 2019 at 4:05:51 pm

I'd say that before you go to all that trouble, it depends on what's going on in this long-duration shot.
Is the camera locked down? That would be my first question. If the camera's moving all over the place, it may cause the viewer to ralph all over the place. That's not good......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 14, 2019 at 4:46:35 pm

camera is perfectly locked

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 14, 2019 at 8:22:48 pm

Maybe I'm miss understanding what you want to do but here are my thoughts.

Say you have a 5-minute clip but you need to cut a few sections of that 5 minutes out. Place the video in a pre-comp. Use the split feature to cut the clip and remove the unwanted parts. Make sure the clip doesn't have holes in it and the clips play one after the other.

Go back to the main comp and add a speed change to your pre-comp to speed it up so it looks like a timelapse.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 14, 2019 at 10:30:30 pm

That's not what I need. I can manually do this, but I'm looking for a way to automate it.

I have a stack of coins several hundred and we rolled video with removal of each coin one by one with a clean frame in between each removal. What i want is to grab a frame of each coin where the removal action is not in frame. I can use still frames.

My thought is to press play - set a marker each time I have a clean frame and then automate a build of a comp grabbing still frames at each marker. Seems like a script that would exist or could easily be written. It's about 300 frames.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 15, 2019 at 2:59:12 am

I got it.

I was hoping for a clever automation, but I went ahead and did in FCPX manually. I just played in 3x speed and set a marker every-time hand exited frame. Then I set a keyboard shortcut for "next marker" that was one key different from "add edit" then just repeated the keystroke 300 times (went ahead and played some music so I could keep rhythm ☺) - select all, set the duration to 1 frame and it worked.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]