FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beginner to AE: I need to understand how to create a video similar to this

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meghana Chou
Beginner to AE: I need to understand how to create a video similar to this
on Jan 11, 2019 at 11:33:24 am

I am very familiar with Premiere Pro but have started using After Effects only two days ago.
I need to learn the software to animate videos for a news organisation. The effects I need to create are similar to the video clip below.

Ignore the intro of the video. My question is about what follows from when the number '1' is revealed on screen.

I have learned the basics of AE from a LinkedIn course so I understand that the video uses track matte to create the reveal effect that they are using for the numbers to pop up and the pictures to slide in smoothly.

When I tried to recreate it to practice AE, I couldn't figure out how to use different track mattes to reveal the individual elements.

For example, I used a rectangle as a track matte for the number to be revealed. In the next step, the number has to shrink and move to the right corner. But the corner will not be visible because I have applied track matte.

Once I hit this roadblock, I couldn't figure out how to proceed since almost every element in this video is in the same slide reveal format which needs track matte.

Could someone please help me figure out how this works?!!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Beginner to AE: I need to understand how to create a video similar to this
on Jan 12, 2019 at 7:13:50 am

The number is not revealed by a track matte. It is rotated in 3 dimensions from pointing straight at the viewer to flipping up and then bouncing at the end. In the beginning of the "reveal" the opacity goes from 0 to 100 within a few frames.
This means you need to turn the layer into a 3D layer and rotate it around the X axis.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Meghana Chou
on Jan 14, 2019 at 8:17:33 am

Thank you so much! I will try what you said.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Jan 16, 2019 at 3:25:23 pm

Also for the bounce try pasting this Keyframe Overshoot expression into the x rotation keyframes. Just hold alt and click on the stop watch next to x rotation to bring up the expression edit box and paste this whole thing into it. It's a common expression to create the bouncing at the end.

It might a look a little intimidating at first, but just adjust the values for Freq and Decay to get the look you want and you can ignore what the rest of the code means.

Also just a general tip when you're trying to recreate effects you can click the gear icon on the playback bar and change the playback speed to .25x and you can see what's happening easier.

(Source https://www.motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html#kf-overshoo...

Copy and paste all this:

freq = 3;
decay = 5;

n = 0;
if (numKeys > 0){
n = nearestKey(time).index;
if (key(n).time > time) n--;
}
if (n > 0){
t = time - key(n).time;
amp = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - .001);
w = freq*Math.PI*2;