FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Shipman
Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)
on Jan 11, 2019 at 7:21:09 am

So I have a character all rigged and ready to go, but before I start animating, I want to figure out a way to set him aside so I can use him for multiple scenes without having to go through the rigging process each time.

The only way I can think of doing this is by importing the current AE scene to a new project, and then manually duplicating my character composition as well as my many nested compositions. This becomes entirely too complicated. For example, I have composition "arm" as well as controllers for each puppet pin on arm. I cannot easily duplicate "arm" without replacing the controllers, basically re-rigging.

So what I'm really looking to do is to import not just a REFERENCE to the composition, but the entire composition itself to each new comp/project I create, independent of the original.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
Re: Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)
on Jan 11, 2019 at 2:22:40 pm

Create a trimmed down AE project that is just the rigged character w/ subcomps and import that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)
on Jan 11, 2019 at 6:04:23 pm

You can also put the rigged character in its own comp with no other layers. Then nest the comp in other ones.

Need to change the rigged character's movement? Duplicate the rigged character comp, make the movement changes in it, then nest it in other comps.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]