FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stabilizing a long take...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Pfeffer
Stabilizing a long take...
on Jan 8, 2019 at 11:50:55 pm

So, I have a continuous shot that was filmed at 6k.

It was filmed on a steadicam rig. The op did very well for the move but there is still some human error involved. I've stabilized a thousand shots but none this long.

Any ideas on how to properly stabilize a :50 second shot?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stabilizing a long take...
on Jan 9, 2019 at 1:34:52 am

A nice, beefy computer with lots of memory and a big SSD for previews, plus a good dose of patience.

It OUGHT to work. But you may have to shave before it's done. Then export in a lossless codec right away.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Pfeffer
on Jan 9, 2019 at 5:40:33 pm

Thanks for your response Dave. My question is more geared towards software and approach. I feel like Adobe's stabilizers won't handle a long shot well. The shot as well, is fairly dynamic.

Wondering if Resolve's solver would be best.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 9, 2019 at 6:57:02 pm

If you have the time, I'd do both -- Resolve and AE -- and compare results. I've stabilized shaky pans in the past using AE with pretty good results; not picture-perfect, but a LOT better.

I personally don't know Resolve (it's not allowed at work & home computer is too old), so I can't speak to its abilities.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jan 9, 2019 at 8:23:07 pm

If you're talking about using Warp Stabilizer, just let it cook away, and start with a low number for your Smoothness setting--like, 5%. If that's not enough, then you can crank it up a little. Make sure to use the Detailed Analysis under Advanced settings.

If you're talking about resolving a couple of minor shakes, you can use the old-fashioned point-track stabilizers, and keyframe in and out of stabilized sections; i.e. when everything is fine, return the comp to its normal position and size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]