cached preview needs 2 or more frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Agne Jurkenaite
cached preview needs 2 or more frames
on Jan 3, 2019 at 8:01:53 pm
Last Edited By Agne Jurkenaite on Jan 3, 2019 at 8:19:32 pm

'cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback'

ive googled regarding this issue and tried everything but nothing's solved it. i purged, cleared, quit, restart, changed ram reserved for other apps, quit unnecessary apps, changed preview quality, increased disc cache size, unchecked 'reduce cache size when system is low on memory', changed disk cache location, set work area to appropriare duration, organised project, rendered instead of previewing (renders incompatible .mov file). ive tried duplicating file and trying the copy but same results.

this is only a problem with 1 comp. im working with many .ai files and theyre all on rasterize. i can view parts what my computer previewed before but it will not render anything further.

ive no clue what im suppose to do. please if you suggest something, explain it to me very clearly in case i dont understand. this is urgent client work and i dont wanna be waiting for responses too long.

here are my specs

https://imgur.com/YdCUfr8

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: cached preview needs 2 or more frames
on Jan 3, 2019 at 9:16:25 pm

If it's only a problem with that one comp try to figure out whats different between that comp and the ones that are working. It sounds like you tried everything that would rule out problems with the cache. I'm confused why the rendered file would be incompatible too.

Try deleting a layer or effects and previewing and if that works then at least you've isolated the problem. Try opening the comp in a new project or in a new comp too

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jan 3, 2019 at 9:34:29 pm

If you are rasterizing the AI files it might be worthwhile to instead export those as raster rather than using the AI files directly. Also, how much are those files scaled?

If it doesn't affect the final product, try converting the AI file to a shape layer (shape layers can only hold paths/fills/stroke and no gradients).

There is a possibility that the AI files themselves are not very well optimized and contain far more information than is necessary and directly trimming down superfluous information in the AI files themselves could improve performance. I guess also try turning off individual AI files and see if it will preview with about half of the AI files active, or if there is one particular AI file that is causing the difficulties.

Return to posts index

Agne Jurkenaite
on Jan 4, 2019 at 7:06:20 pm

thank you both! its fortunate the designs are super simple so everything was convertable to shape layers. i believe the true problem was the puppet tool. strange. was there a particular reason why? is my computer not strong enough to handle puppet tool? curious to know

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jan 4, 2019 at 10:59:05 pm

I have noticed a whole lot of rather odd issues with AI files in AE. As a result I end up either moving the vector information out of the AI file (into something that can hold paths like a shape layer), or I end up opening it in Illustrator to export a PNG (sized such that I don't have to scale it much, if at all); depends on whether I need the image or I need the vector information.

As to what's causing it, I have no clue. Here are a list of things I've seen that have caused issue with AI files in AE.
-Scaling the file up too much
-Scaling the file down too much
-Gradients in the file
-Unoptimized file (any mess of too many superfluous paths, too many points in paths, extra layers that are not visible, incomplete paths, needless nesting of groups)
-AI files with links inside of them
-Fills that overlap
-Precomping anything with AI files
-Multiple artboards
-You are close to a deadline

Try the puppet tool with raster images, shape layers, and video. The puppet tool is more resource intensive than most simple effects, but it hasn't seemed to be a resource hog the way 3D lighting, particle generators, or any of the other big resource intensive effects.

Return to posts index

Agne Jurkenaite
on Jan 5, 2019 at 10:04:17 am

reading that list, i definitely ticked off several. all these ai files were done by someone else and looking at them they could use some organising. thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]