FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing PC Build

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Blank
Editing PC Build
on Dec 28, 2018 at 11:50:03 pm

Hello all,

I have the opportunity to build out a PC at work and would like to hear some opinions on the components I have picked out. My primary concern is on the CPU, where I'm debating number of cores versus clock speed.

Processors: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core OR intel i9 9900K 8-Core
Memory: 64GB ORIGIN PC DDR4 Powered by Kingston 3000MHz (4 X 16GB)
Graphics Card #1: Single 11GB GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Blower
Operating System Drive #1 (Primary): 1TB Samsung 970 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2
Hard Drive #2: 8TB Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD
Audio: ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Motherboard: MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

The primary use is After Effects and Premiere Pro. I do an even amount of traditional video editing and 3D work using Element 3D in compositions entirely computer generated. I'm also expanding into other 3D programs.

If anyone has information on the following I'd really appreciate it:

1. I know After Effects benefits from a CPU that has faster cores. Therefor the 32-core threadripper may not be the best choice. That being said, my understanding is the ability to multitask and utilize many other 3D applications would get a lot out of the additional cores and be severely kneecapped by only having 8. Is this correct? What is the lesser of two evils? Is there a third CPU option I am not considering?

2. I'm also aware that After Effects/Premiere don't make much use out of the GPU. The RTX 2080 Ti may be overkill in this build. However I have also read that Element 3D uses the GPU almost exclusively. It has been extremely hard to find information on this. Can someone confirm whether or not a beefy GPU will make a difference with Element 3D?

3. Finally, I've made sure to put 64gb of memory in this build. Is there a reason to increase this to 128? Does After Effects really utilize that kind of memory?

4. Any other problems with my build or suggestions based on what you see?

Anything would be appreciated! (Note that budget isn't really an issue here.)

Thanks everyone,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Editing PC Build
on Dec 29, 2018 at 3:01:10 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 29, 2018 at 3:10:05 am

Two things I don't see:
1) an SSD to cache AE previews and
2) lots of FAST-throughput storage (think a sustained bit rate of 100 mb/sec or more) to play back video in real time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Editing PC Build
on Dec 29, 2018 at 2:32:58 pm

Hey Gabe,

While I can't comment on the individual components, it looks as if you're on the right track anyway. I've been researching this for some time now. I've always built my own systems for decades, but for my "retirement" system next Spring, I'm going with a system from these folk:

https://www.boxx.com/systems/workstations/t-class

Pricey perhaps but look around at the rest of the site, their client list, testimonials, videos, etc. and understand their design philosophy. They've been around for decades, catering to higher end CAD & graphics clientele. If nothing else it'll give you another perspective.

More and more 3D apps are migrating to GPU processing and that trend isn't going to change. I've several programs now that tax my poor aged graphics card & I have to disable a lot of features & monitor overheating. Definitely not conducive to creativity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]