FORUMS: list search recent posts

cool animation effect (done in After Effects) -- in search of detailed explaination or tutorial

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitriy Torgovitskiy
cool animation effect (done in After Effects) -- in search of detailed explaination or tutorial
on Dec 28, 2018 at 8:39:55 pm

I recently found this video on youtube --

. The author Pearce makes a disclaimer that "he isn't going to go into details." And he certainly doesn't. Perhaps, for someone who is an advance After Effects user his very brief references to how he created this video would be sufficient. But... Unfortunately I don't fall into that category just yet.

I would love if someone could eloborate/reproduce this technique. Or, perhaps, even improve what Pearce accomplished. It ceratinly looks very cool.

As someone mentioned in conmments to the video the steps that Pearce mentioned were:

Step 1 : He says to make some lines in the Paint Tool in AE
Step 2 : Used the Lines with Shape Layers
Step 3 : (Optional but he recommends) Remove the lines; hide them if you want.
Step 4 : He wants you to make the layer 3D + Add lighting so it will function as if it was 3D...

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: cool animation effect (done in After Effects) -- in search of detailed explaination or tutorial
on Jan 2, 2019 at 5:55:18 pm

Its really just a ton of drawing and animating mask paths. Or shape paths in this case. I'll try to expand on those 4 steps you listed in a bit more depth. The paint tool is like the brush tool in photoshop except it's much clunkier. he was using this to make the outlines before he decided he liked it better without the lines.

To "fill" in these lines he retraced each piece of clothing as a colored shape layer and animated the paths to match the video on each frame, or every few frames.

To hide the lines, he probably just turned off that first outline layer he made with the paint tool.

step 4 he means he just hit the 3d switch on the comp with the filled in the shape layers once he was done animating it. When a layer is checked as 3D it can receive light and shadows from in-scene lights. Note that it won't be 3d like a pixar movie or something. It'll be 3d in the sense that it will cast shadows correctly but it's still a flat layer.

hope that helps clear it up

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: cool animation effect (done in After Effects) -- in search of detailed explaination or tutorial
on Jan 2, 2019 at 7:38:11 pm

lack of eyes might suggest that he did a rough rotoscope and then used the cartoon filter and a couple of layers to add the clothing and sunglasses...Its not that great...but if you have a bigger idea using a piece of this....its going to be one heck of a long project

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]