FORUMS: list search recent posts

I want to recreate this floating glass cube effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Hayes
I want to recreate this floating glass cube effect
on Dec 26, 2018 at 9:52:24 pm

I really hate posting threads asking for recreation tips, but after an exhaustive search I still haven't found out how to recreate this effect. I suppose I don't really know what to call the effect, otherwise I could probably find a tutorial on YouTube.

Basically I want an effect like the one below: floating glass cube (except I'll be putting an image in mine rather than text).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I want to recreate this floating glass cube effect
on Dec 27, 2018 at 3:03:07 am

I can't tell you how to do it because I've never had cause to try it.

But I CAN answer the question, "What makes clear glass look like glass?"

It's the reflections and any refraction of things behind it. Without them, you can't see the glass. It's clear.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
on Dec 27, 2018 at 3:50:30 am
Last Edited By Mark Doctor on Dec 27, 2018 at 3:57:33 am

Try using an environmentlayer with a color gradiënt effect aplied to it . Or use multiple colored lights combined with the specular reflection of the cube.

And the surface of the cube isn't realy that flat, so the light source dynamically changes.

Greets Mark

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Dec 27, 2018 at 9:39:51 pm

GAMECUBE ROCKS

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 27, 2018 at 9:40:58 am

This will almost certainly need to be done as a 3D object.

The "obvious" choice is the built-in Cinema 4D Lite, but the feasibility of that depends on your experience with 3D programs.

Another free option is Blender. Again, I doubt you're going to make this in one day if you haven't used the program before.

Commercial plugins that can do this from within After Effects include at least Element 3D, Freeform Pro, Shapeshifter and Stardust. None of them are a one-click solution, but if I were to recommend the one with which you can do this easiest, I would say Element.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Michael Müller
on Dec 28, 2018 at 9:00:17 pm

As far as I know, it's impossible to create a cube like this in ae without extensions. With cinema 4d lite and element 3d however, this seems like a pretty simple thing to create.
First you create a cube with some fillet in c4d lite. Then you import the cube into element 3d in after effects (you wanna use e3d because it's 100x faster than the standard renderer for c4d objects in ae)
I'm pretty sure creating a glass material in e3d is fairly easy. Maybe there even is a preset or a very exciting tutorial by Andrew Kramer.
e3d has a bit of a learning curve but its a very powerful tool.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]