New impossible question : Adjustment Layer continuously rasterized

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Remi Monedi
New impossible question : Adjustment Layer continuously rasterized
on Dec 26, 2018 at 3:05:31 pm

Hi everyone and happy holidays!
As a gift, here is my impossible question :

In a MAIN COMP, I created several Adjustment Layers and precomposed all of them in 1 comp : ADJS COMP. Since I want them to still affects layers in my MAIN COMP I checked the Rasterize button of my ADJS COMP. So far so good, layers below ADJS COMP are affected by the Adjustments Layers inside ADJ COMP.

BUT, butbutubut, as soon as I apply an effect onto my ADJ COMP (any kind of effect, it could be a slider control, an audio effect), my ADJS COMP is disabled just like if there was no Adjustment layers inside! Just like if I didn't checked the Rasterize button! And that even if the effects on ADJS COMP are disabled.

Thats a huge bummer because I wanted to add controls on ADJS COMP to control the many Adjustment layers inside (that would have been very convenient).

SO my question (finally), do you have any solution to add slider controls on a Precomposed group of Adjustment layers?
If not, any elegant idea? The only one I can think of is to have another "ADJS COMP Settings" layer with the controls on it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: New impossible question : Adjustment Layer continuously rasterized
on Dec 26, 2018 at 9:06:42 pm

Well, you can't precompose adjustment adjustment layers. They won't work like adjustment layers any more.

Sorry. It's time for Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Remi Monedi
on Dec 26, 2018 at 11:04:51 pm

It's ok Dave, it's not your fault (it is?). Thank you for your answer.
Plan B time!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 27, 2018 at 3:07:59 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 27, 2018 at 3:25:50 am

I should elaborate -- an adjustment layer only affects the layers below it IN THE COMPOSITION. When you precompose adjustment layers, there are no longer any layers below them -- any other layers are in another composition.

If you activate the precomp as an adjustment layer, which I think you can do (never tried it), the precomp won't affect any layers below it, because there are no effectcts applied to the precomp yet. The adjustment layers in the precomp are useless.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Remi Monedi
on Dec 30, 2018 at 12:50:17 pm
Last Edited By Remi Monedi on Dec 30, 2018 at 1:22:14 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I should elaborate -- an adjustment layer only affects the layers below it IN THE COMPOSITION. When you precompose adjustment layers, there are no longer any layers below them -- any other layers are in another composition.
"

Hi Dave,
Actually a precomp with only adjustment layers does affect layers under this precomp IF you turn on the "Continuously Rasterize" button. And, as I mentionned, only if you don't apply any effect to the precomp (as in my screenshots).

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 27, 2018 at 9:58:03 am

I believe the only way you can make this work the way you want is to put all the adjustments into a single adjustment layer.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Michael Müller
on Dec 29, 2018 at 1:15:28 pm

I don't quite understand why you pre composed the adjustment layers in the first place. Is there a particular reason why you did not pack all your adjustment effects into one adjustment layer?
Anyway if you wanna do it like that and the layer stops working when you put a slider on it, I'd just create a null and manage the controls there.

Michael

Return to posts index

Remi Monedi
on Dec 30, 2018 at 1:19:03 pm

[Michael Müller] "I don't quite understand why you pre composed the adjustment layers in the first place."

Hi Michaël, there are 2 reasons why I didn't do all that in 1 big Adjustment layer.
1. For practicality, I used around 20 different effects that interact with each other through expressions and controls so I'd rather have One layer with the controls (the precomp) and the controlled layers inside (it could be 1 adjustment layer or several, doesn't matter). If not, I will have a big mess of settings. And people are afraid of complicated settings.
2. Because I have a few adjustment layers with their specific Blending Mode, and since the effects I used don't have an in-built blending mode setting I need to use the blending mode of the layer itself. So several Layers :/ (Calculations and CC Composite didn't help)

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 29, 2018 at 2:26:34 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Dec 29, 2018 at 2:39:16 pm

[Remi Monedi] "SO my question (finally), do you have any solution to add slider controls on a Precomposed group of Adjustment layers?
If not, any elegant idea? The only one I can think of is to have another "ADJS COMP Settings" layer with the controls on it."

effects/masks and layer styles will disable some of the collapse transformation functionality of a precomp. instead of using an effect on the precomp, use Master Properties. in the precomp, add these effects to the essential graphics panel. now you can control them in the main composition timeline in the precomp layer.

it's either that or create your sliders in a different layer in the master comp - that will be your controller layer (not on the precomp). link the properties to that layer instead of the precomp.

here's an example for both uses:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HW4_xp9o30A5M1IOpyH79ZrixPc6gqNm

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Remi Monedi
on Dec 30, 2018 at 1:09:42 pm
Last Edited By Remi Monedi on Dec 30, 2018 at 1:21:25 pm

Hi Roei,
Master Properties are indeed an interesting feature but I find it less convenient than having all the settings in the effects panel (not another panel).
As Dave, Kalleikki and you have mentionned, I think the less elegant solution is to have a master null layer with all the controls and a the slave precomp.
Thank you all for your answers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]