FORUMS: list search recent posts

Element 3d aux channel scale - one axis ony

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Moog Gravett
Element 3d aux channel scale - one axis ony
on Dec 20, 2018 at 2:43:32 pm

Hi folks,

I'm doing some detailed stuff in element 3d and need to be able to scale in one particular axis only when using aux channels.

For some reason it's set up to only have a master scale. I've experimented with trying to control it with a null, but haven't got that working.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Moog

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Element 3d aux channel scale - one axis ony
on Dec 21, 2018 at 4:15:27 pm

Why did a null not work. Well the object does need to be centered in element 3d so that when you go back to the comp the null will be at the anchor point of the object...then you can animate the scale of the null

Return to posts index

Moog Gravett
on Dec 21, 2018 at 4:19:35 pm

Hi,

A null would work for the whole object scale, but not when attaching to a part controlled by an aux channel, which only has one value.

Unless I'm missing something.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Dec 21, 2018 at 8:31:22 pm

yes you are missing the fact that the scale proportion can be unlocked and then the null can be stretched and squashed

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 22, 2018 at 7:50:37 am

The long and the short of it is, you can't currently do single-axis scaling with the Aux channels. The best workaround is to use Group nulls, parenting them if you need to emulate child-parent transformations as if the sub-object was a child of the main object. This becomes tricky if you've already used up all groups, as you need to use Unified Render. I find Unified render unreliable when trying to control the same group number animation.

Other options are very limited:

1) You may be able to use the Animation Engine, but with complex setups it is even more difficult than using nulls and unified render.

2) You may be able to set up (if the object is of suitable shape) an extrusion model and adjust the original path instead of the scale. You will introduce anchor point and refresh problems this way, but it is possible to overcome both.

Parented nulls are the most viable option.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Moog Gravett
on Jan 2, 2019 at 3:14:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'll have a play now that I'm back at work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]