FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text jagged on edges

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flavio Stiavetti
Text jagged on edges
on Dec 19, 2018 at 3:22:27 pm

I did search around this a lot, but most of the answers tended to be about the previewing, well my jagged text is on my renders.

My zooming is 100% and best quality not draft.

I'm doing a promo video for an app in both landscape and portrait versions. First I did the landscape and text was ok (a bit jagged but tolerable) but when I turned into the portrait the text is is just awfully jagged.

I'm using a Helvetica-bold italic and faux bold. The issue is not the italics cause if I turn it of, the jagged is still on the curves, from the S, for example.

Videos, here,
portrait
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qjheo31fxikhs7/Fitwell_AppPreview%20video%20land...
landscape
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7znx3ectuvmr0t/Fitwell_AppPreview%20video%20land...
I did not scaled up the text, I scaled it down, so I really don't see why this is happening. So unprofessional. The scales values I rounded them up, no decimals here.

I have been an editor and motion graphics designer for 15 years now, this happened to me now and then but this time I really decided to make something about it. This turns me down man... please help

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Text jagged on edges
on Dec 19, 2018 at 3:38:35 pm

I....Don't see any jagged edges..I watched both and paused it on the texts and they all look clean.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Dec 19, 2018 at 5:48:27 pm

i usually put a gaussian blur of 2 on my text. plus adding a drop shadow seems to make things worse. i have encounterd this from time to time. so i will add the blur and then the drop shadow.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Dec 19, 2018 at 10:30:12 pm

I don't really notice that big of a difference between them really, but I have had issues like that before too. I know the contrast between the text and background will affect how the the anti aliasing looks. higher contrast = more jagged usually. Just an idea but did you use the drop shadow effect or the drop shadow from layer styles? I've had some issues with using layer styles before so try to avoid doing it that way and see if it makes any difference.

I think the portrait looks smoother because the text is larger so the the anti aliasing is less noticeable compared to the text.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 20, 2018 at 4:06:55 pm

Here is another vote for avoiding layer styles in AE if you can do it some other way. They don't work anywhere nearly as well as Photoshop layer styles.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Flavio Stiavetti
on Dec 20, 2018 at 4:28:23 pm

what if I need to add a drop shadow. Is better if I do it from the effect tab?

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Dec 20, 2018 at 4:47:59 pm

often what i do to add a drop shadow is to duplicate the text layer, drop it below the main text layer, turn it black, add Gaussian blur, position lower and to the left. you can nest the 2 layers and re-position as desired.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 21, 2018 at 12:48:54 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 21, 2018 at 12:57:30 am

Flavio Stiavetti: "what if I need to add a drop shadow. Is better if I do it from the effect tab?"

Yes. It's easy to use.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]