FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma Clarke
AE Workflow
on Dec 16, 2018 at 12:11:22 pm

Hello,

It's very many years since I used AE and I have now to get to grips with an old piece of work and render it 'better' and in HD. I am constrained to the same sound track and just have to enhance it and upgrade the animations . I use Premiere Pro a lot ... but I'm rusty in AE .

The goal is that the finished work will have very good HD clarity.

So three questions have arisen:

1. On rendering 'best and lossless' files out of AE (to check my animation) I'm getting jerky footage from the 10 seconds of uncompressed rendering. Can I expect to get uncompressed HD or will I have to use a codec and so which one for best quality? The resulting files are just for me to see (mostly) but also be shown publicly on 10ft by 10 ft screens.

2. I am wondering if a good workflow for this reconstruction would be to make the short animated clips in AE and render them as Premiere Pro projects for compositing in Premiere? I haven't done this before but suppose it will be easy/OK? Will that route ensure good resolution by not rendering out the clips first from AE to import into Premiere and then rendering again for the final output from Premiere Am I right, is this a usual workflow?

3. For making 5 minutes of HD compositing and rendering I think I have too little RAM with only 12Gb on board. I am going to increase it to 32 ... is that enough or will it have to be 64Gb? Plus to render HD, do I need a hard drive reading and writing faster than 450?

I hope one of you can help me make some progress.

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Emma

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
Re: AE Workflow
on Dec 17, 2018 at 3:07:05 am
Last Edited By Mark Doctor on Dec 17, 2018 at 4:45:13 pm

Too many uncertainties. Upscaling depends completely on your source material. I've pre-comped final projects in the desired resolution and scaled them up by hitting.

Ctrl (cmd)+alt+F

And by marking the checkbox "continues restarization" to on. I think it also can be done by just changing the render settings, but you would lack a good preview. Also color profile and bit-depth might need some alteration.

Any lossles huffman based codec will do the job. Lossles RLE compression will not always guarantee speeding up rendering and playback. I like to use image sequences for multiple reasons and always suggest it. Besides that I also like to use the Premiere dynamic link feature. And in the early days i did a lot of offline editing.

Image manipulation works frame by frame, there's no rush to give a realtime stream. AE works like an automated Photoshop. It loads the frame into the memory, manipulates the image with a set of rules it has been given and spits out the answer.

The more instructions it has to do before it writes down the final answer, the larger the memory that is needed. Thats why breaking down the project in multiple render passes allows you to do more complex manipulation, with limited memory and often it allows for multiprocessing.

A Full HD frame isn't that shocking
1920 x 1080 x 32bits x 4 channels / (8 bytes x 1000^2) = 33 MB

Having bulk of memory is practical for realtime viewing and faster rendering, but not a "must have" to finish the job.

Greets Mark

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 17, 2018 at 4:00:07 pm

...but having 16 GB RAM is pretty much the minimum amount for AE these days.

Depending on the footage in your project, you may or may not be successful upscaling it from 4x3 SD to 16x9 HD.
Then there are also the visual layout differences between 4x3 and 16x9.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emma Clarke
on Dec 19, 2018 at 12:16:54 pm

Thanks very much for responding and your advice on the RAM.

I use a Teranex 2D to upscale and that will be as good as it gets or we will re-shoot and re-work the material but I am still left with the questions of workflow.

Until now I have always worked with archival SD and not HD so there are some basics I don't understand.

1. On rendering 'best and lossless' HD video out of AE, I'm seeing jerky footage from the 10 seconds of 'uncompressed' rendering. Should I expect to be able to view 'uncompressed' HD ? Or, is it more normal to render HD with a codec ... and if so, which one for best quality? The resulting files would be for use in Premiere to composite further.

2. Alternatively, I think there is a possibility to export my animations from AE as a project, for import into Premiere Pro. That way the work wouldn't be compressed until the final Premiere render? I haven't gone this route before but suppose it will be OK?

Is this a usual? What's best ?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Emma
PC W7 64bit

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 19, 2018 at 7:34:49 pm

How are you viewing the uncompressed render from AE? In a media viewer? The chances are good that your drives can't keep up with the super-high bit rate of uncompressed.

If you want, you can use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the uncompressed video to something meant for playback, like H.264. Then you can check the motion.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Doctor
on Dec 19, 2018 at 8:10:16 pm
Last Edited By Mark Doctor on Dec 20, 2018 at 7:42:17 am

Harddrives often can't feed the videostream fast enough and compressed frames are more efficient to buffer. Despite the extra video processing.

Uncompressed is lossless, but lossless isn't uncompressed.

So asking for the best quality of compression when lossless-compression is used, doesnt make sense if diskspace isn't considerd. And the use of compressed material doesnt need to be avoided.

Besides my personal preference of image sequences, good old "animation" set at 100% will do. But i believe that beter formats are currently available.

Useful info about rendering and the workflow attached to it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/basics-rendering-exporting.html

Greets Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]