FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotating only certain words within a single text layer in AE CC 2019?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Dillihay
Rotating only certain words within a single text layer in AE CC 2019?
on Dec 16, 2018 at 6:14:09 am

I'm trying to do a motion graphic text for a video series I want to do, and what I'm trying to do is to have each word reveal itself in time to a sound clip I made where I introduce the show by reading the script as it comes up. Everything is okay there, but one of the things I wanted to do was to have some words in each paragraph of the intro be sideways (up and down and vertical), while others be horizontal.

The reason for this is because if I can't do it within the paragraph (as in have all the text in one layer), I would have to have a single layer for each word and do it that way. If I had a single layer, I could then be able to use the animator to reveal each word as I say it in the clip, so I don't have to line up 5, 7, or 10 layers per "card", if you will. As always, Google tend to search AROUND the actual meaning of what I'm thinking of, and nothing I've seen here describes the effect of what I'm trying to do.

To put it into context, this is a rough idea of what I'm going for here. This is not the final product by any stretch (do not plan to use that font, for one). This is just so you can have a clear understanding of what I'm trying to do. But if you notice the way I'm trying to do it now versus what would make it a lot less stressful if it was one layer using the animators. But is there a way that I can rotate only certain words inside of a text layer?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Rotating only certain words within a single text layer in AE CC 2019?
on Dec 16, 2018 at 4:20:59 pm

Text animators can be used for this. Set the anchor point grouping to word, and range selector to words and index. Then you can move, rotate, scale etc. each word separately using one animator for each.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: Rotating only certain words within a single text layer in AE CC 2019?
on Dec 17, 2018 at 3:48:19 pm

Kalleheikki's way will work! If you have a lot left to do you may be interested in checking out a script called type monkey. I haven't used this script personally but I hear good things about it for typography work : https://aescripts.com/typemonkey/

You might want to give it a try if you a lot of work left to do on that project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]